Encourage Your A to use SR?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Encourage Your A to use SR?

Has anyone ever referred your addict to SoberRecovery? How did it work out for you? Did they figure out who you were on here?

Other thoughts or comments?

I think these boards are such a great resource and could be very beneficial to an addict. However, I'd be worried I'd lose my anonymity.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Bad idea, IMO. Recovery is a very personal journey. This is YOUR place for YOU. If you tell him about it not only do you lose a part of your support system, you would be peeking in on the other side to see what he may be saying.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KKE

You never know, he may already be using it but just hasn't told you!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's true, CO. I never even thought about the temptation of his posts being on the other boards. And that is one temptation I'd probably give into. It would also throw me backwards in my journey through recovery.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great, KKE, now I'm going to start looking for him. This is gonna' take a while!!!!!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have told my sober brother about it. I have nothing to hide from him. He was there for the ride.

I have told our Mom as well, though I suspect some things I have shared would be difficult for her if she found them. She doesn't know my username and would be unlikely to dig around for me.

I did this because for me, it's too valuable of a resource to keep to myself. I also feel my brother could be very helpful to others. He is IRL, already. It would be a different story if my qualifier was a significant other.

I don't think Mom ever visited and I think my brother did just once. They aren't likely to because it's not their medium of choice.

It's an extremely personal decision and one you cannot undo, so I definitely recommend exercising caution.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Orange Lily

Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
I did this because for me, it's too valuable of a resource to keep to myself. I also feel my brother could be very helpful to others. He is IRL, already. It would be a different story if my qualifier was a significant other.

I don't think Mom ever visited and I think my brother did just once. They aren't likely to because it's not their medium of choice.

It's an extremely personal decision and one you cannot undo, so I definitely recommend exercising caution.
Ya- I'm with you on this one here. I showed it to my AXBF and he took a look at some of the threads in the substance abuse boards- but I don't think he'll be likely to use them as I would. He's not particularly driven to use online forums for much of anything. I suppose that makes it good because he wouldn't even bother to look for my posts here.

Anonymity, logging myself out of it, and having a random username disassociated from normal online activities help A LOT.

BUT- I think if its a resource for someone, it shouldn't be hidden if it can honestly help them. Maybe they stumble on it on their own!