It hurts so badly to love a crackhead

Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

My friend was married to a wonderful man who thought he was invincible. He decided to "try crack" with a coworker and it stole his soul. He was in and out of rehabs, interventions, NA, SMART, I think he tried everything including "finding God." The longest he ever stayed clean was 2 yrs before he would be pulled back in. Crack had such a strong hold over him. It's one powerful drug, no matter who you are.

After years of "standing by her man" and being supportive, my friend finally left him and filed for divorce. Her 20 year old son is now experiencing severe panic attracts and just had to withdraw from college. His therapist believes this is the result of living with a crack addict. Of course, my friend is beyond guilt ridden by her choices to support her man and not move out much sooner. She is lucky because her son holds no resentments towards her and they are very, very close. He, too, loved his father very much and didn't want to leave. Today, they can't imagine how they lived liked that.

Sadly, he is still using and has no relationship with his only child, his son....the biggest "supporter" of his on again, off again recovery. It's been 2 yrs since they moved out and he still has no idea where they moved to because he is so lost in his addiction.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"and it stole his soul"

well put,LMN....poetic,even.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You all are right. Hearing someone else say three things puts everything in perspective. I love my kids more than anything.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just like some addicts can't seem to ever give up their DOC...even for their kids...some codependents suffer the same intensity of "connection" and kids suffer as a result. I hope you can break away from the madness! XO
Old 06-08-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. He has been so mean with me the past few days. He called me a lazy fat bitch repeatedly ( I give it back trust me) but I can't be verbally and emotionally abused anymore. I can't have my baby daughter in the middle of screaming matches. He just uses me and admitted to me that he will just find another "bitch" to use. I said does that make you feel like a man? Then he got up on my face like he was going to hit me. It hurts but in getting to the pissed off point. He does all these things and then just expects me to hand him over money, let him use my car, my phone. What the hell goes through a crackheads mind? I deserve better. My kids definitely deserve better.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aef0920 View Post
Thanks everyone. He has been so mean with me the past few days. He called me a lazy fat bitch repeatedly ( I give it back trust me) but I can't be verbally and emotionally abused anymore. I can't have my baby daughter in the middle of screaming matches. He just uses me and admitted to me that he will just find another "bitch" to use. I said does that make you feel like a man? Then he got up on my face like he was going to hit me. It hurts but in getting to the pissed off point. He does all these things and then just expects me to hand him over money, let him use my car, my phone. What the hell goes through a crackheads mind? I deserve better. My kids definitely deserve better.
This sounds like a dangerously escalating situation. Do you have any friends or family that you and the kids can stay with while you look for a new place? Abuse is NEVER justified. You do deserve better. I'm worried about you and your children.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You do deserve better. I'm worried about you and your children.
Me too, please do not "give it back" when he is angry and cracked up, bad things happen, or have happened to me.
My ex threatened to kill me or have me killed if I got in the way of his crack.
I called the cops, he ran away because of a warrant.
Crack heads are so unpredictable and that is what makes them so very dangerous.
No need to argue with crack, you will not get through and you will end up with a headache (at the very least.)

Beth
Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm trying to think up a good analogy for arguing with a crack addict

..........sorry, I can't!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Me too, please do not "give it back" when he is angry and cracked up, bad things happen, or have happened to me.
My ex threatened to kill me or have me killed if I got in the way of his crack.
I called the cops, he ran away because of a warrant.
Crack heads are so unpredictable and that is what makes them so very dangerous.
To add on to the comments about crackheads being "dangerous," my AH put his hands around my neck while I was leaving the house one day because I wouldn't take give him money and take him to his drug dealer to get his cell phone back. He traded his cell phone as collateral for some dope. I can't even describe what a gentle and soft-hearted person I am. I rarely raise my voice. I always go above and beyond to make sure the people in my life are happy. Never, in my wildest dreams, would I ever think that ANYONE would have reason to hurt me.

I have seen him break 4-5 cell phones in a complete rage. Just a couple of weeks ago, he threatened to sell all of my possessions because I wouldn't let him borrow some money. The following day, he sold our GPS (it was a Christmas gift from his mother) to the dope man for $40 and told me that he did it to spite me because I wouldn't let him borrow the money

If I don't agree to do what he wants, he becomes angry. He always tries to manipulate the situation so that I am the person who is in the wrong. He uses his addiction as a crutch. "I don't want to live this way, can't you see that I'm doing my best," etc. If he does something around the house, he expects praise for it.

Get the hell away from this guy and move fast.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am going to see if my mom can let us move in at least for a few months. We will be getting evicted soon anyway..
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

get out. that's the best advice I can offer. walk away and NEVER look back.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aef0920 View Post
I am going to see if my mom can let us move in at least for a few months. We will be getting evicted soon anyway..

Your Mom is YOUR Mom. I guarantee she doesn't want "US" to move in.
She wants to protect HER CHILD. I'm pretty sure crack addicts have
THEIR OWN Mothers...........
Old 06-16-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Aef0920....good morning! I just read some of ur one post stating"its hard because we have a daughter together" BUT this should make it easier to see what to do!!! U are entwined too tightly too come untied but slowly u can do it!! I read a bit more on how he treats u, the mean things he says and how he stole from ur child/u....and how he threatened to hurt u...HE SHOULDN'T get the chance to make that threat come true sweetie!! U shouldn't give him that chance after what he's put u thru! Please demand peace for ur heart, mind and soul, let alone ur children....hugs for u!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
I realize I'm late to this thread.

Where does it say that you have to stay with the "crackhead"? Just because we love someone doesn't mean we're under any obligation to stay with them when they choose to turn to and use drugs. You're not powerless, you know. You can choose to leave.

ZoSo
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

@Vale by us I meant my daughters and I. And his parents are dead. But I would never let him move in with my parents and steal from them too.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

So my daughters and I moved in with my mom and dad.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

@zoso77 yes that's true. Which is why I have to fight really hard against my codependent nature.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I really appreciate all of your comments.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

@aef0320 - how is it going since you have moved in with your folks? Going better?

Love and light,
YG
Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm so glad to hear that you and your daughters are in a safer place!