Using Others to Stop Our Pain

Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Our happiness is not a present someone else holds in his or her hands. Our well-being is not held by another to be given or withheld at whim. If we reach out and try to force someone to give us what we believe he or she holds, we will be disappointed. We will discover that it is an illusion. The person didn't hold it. He or she never shall. That beautifully wrapped box with the ribbon on it that we believed contained our happiness that someone was holding - it's an illusion!

In those moments when we are trying to reach out and force someone to stop our pain and create our joy, if we can find the courage to stop flailing about and instead stand still and deal with our issues, we will find our happiness.

Yes, it is true that if someone steps on our foot, he or she is hurting us and therefore holds the power to stop our pain by removing his or her foot. But the pain is still ours. And so is the responsibility to tell someone to stop stepping on our feet.

Healing will come when we're aware of how we attempt to use others to stop our pain and create our happiness. We will heal from the past. We will receive insights that can change the course of our relationships.

We will see that, all along, our happiness and our well-being have been in our hands. We have held that box. The contents are ours for the opening.

God, help me remember that I hold the key to my own happiness. Give me the courage to stand still and deal with my own feelings. Give me the insights I need to improve my relationships. Help me stop doing the codependent dance and start doing the dance of recovery.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
IsItAlright

Thanks for sharing
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

This is powerful... Thank you for sharing
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We will see that, all along, our happiness and our well-being have been in our hands. We have held that box. The contents are ours for the opening.

God, help me remember that I hold the key to my own happiness. Give me the courage to stand still and deal with my own feelings. Give me the insights I need to improve my relationships. Help me stop doing the codependent dance and start doing the dance of recovery.
This is one of my favourite readings from that book. The words above are so true, WE hold the key to our own happiness, and then WE get to choose who we share it with.

Hugs
Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LMN - this is exactly the reminder I needed. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by supportforme View Post
LMN - this is exactly the reminder I needed. Thank you!

My psychic powers knew that this lol. But getting your "house painted" is still finding your joy and happiness from within.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is such a big one for me! Part of my desire to control is from this feeling that if others are together, sober, balanced, then I will be the same way. It is a struggle. This is a good reminder that my balance is from within. Otherwise, I will keep the pattern of trying to balance other people--try to make them serene--rather than working on finding that peace and serenity within myself. Thanks for sharing!