Sobriety and Xanax use

Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety and Xanax use

My daughter has a six year history of heroin use, in addition to some other drugs and on occasion, alcohol. Heroin and opiates are her drugs of choice. She shot up heroin. She's been to six treatment centers and has overdosed twice. She "claims" that she has been sober for a year even though she was on Methadone until two months ago (although I think she might still be on it) and is currently prescribed 6 mg of Xanax a day. I just starting speaking with her for the first time in seven months, and she sounds high during every conversation (from Xanax). She has an excuse for everything. She says that she's sober even though she doesn't attend meetings regularly because she thinks they're too depressing, she's on xanax (she says for her newly discovered anxiety and siezures), talks about past drug use regularly, refuses to cut ties with her "party" friends, etc. She says that I should be commending her for not using heroin anymore, instead of questioning her xanax use. I compare it to someone who stopped committing home invasions and opted for auto theft. I think that she's far from being sober. It never ends with her. She was arrested for domestic violence two months ago. All at the ripe old age of nineteen. I love her so much, but find it difficult to have a relationship with her in her present condition that she's trying to convince me is great. Does anyone think that her behavior is that of a sober person or am I being unreasonable? With her addictive personality, she can't use anything ever again. She seems to think that one day she'll be able to smoke pot socially. Does this ever end? I've only reconnected with her for one week now, and I'm already ready to turn my phone off.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In one sentence, she says that she's been sober for a year, and in another, she says that she was ticketed a few months ago for underage consumption of alcohol BAC .16. She also told me that she has smoked some pot in the last six months. Does she not remember what she says from one minute to another? Life would be so much easier if I was a blind idiot. Awareness is not always pleasant. When she's not using, I always want her around because she's a fantastic person. When she's using, which is 98% of the time, I can't stand being around her. If I meet a new friend, and I even detect the slightest sense of chaos, I get rid of them, yet my daughter is the most chaotic. I'm in the place now where I can cut ties, as I went seven months with no contact which I have never done before. But, she's trying to convince me that she's doing well to keep me in her life, when I know that she's full of crap. We do adore each other. It's the addiction that I hate. I can't live with chaos, but I'm finding a very small part of me that's trying to see her point of view and believe her. My heart wants to believe her and continue contact, while my head is saying that she's trading one drug (or multiple drugs)for another and this nonsense will never end. I was planning a surprise visit to her (she lives out of state) next month, and I'm worried that it might be bad. If I have to sit through dinners with her slurring her words while saying how happy and sober that she is, my heart will break and I won't be able to keep silent about it. My empathy level has decreased over the past year, as this is many years in the making, and how much can I take? If this were anyone other than my daughter, I would cut them loose, and never see them again with no regrets, but this is my precious child that I have loved dearly for two decades. I am pretty convinced that she's not going to make it to her 21 birthday whether it's a result of drugs or she gets hurt by her chosen group of friends. I don't want to manifest bad results with negative thoughts, but what else am I to think after living this six year nightmare with her? Drugs don't just kill the addict, they kill the family also. At least they're high and numb to some of the pain. I'm sober and feeling it. Any similar stories and/or advice?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear Bobo, I have a 23 year old son who has been a heroin addict since age 20. He did terrible things that have landed him in jail for three different occasions (read my old posts for history if need be). It appears that your young daughter is struggling in pleasing you by saying she is sober, but your gut tells you it is not so.... I think the xanex and any benzo is very similar to opiate high so you are still dealing with the addictive behavior. does she indicate any desire for sobriety? Is she willing to go to rehab? Otherwise, she is actively addicted and will continue to engage you to find your bottom in supporting her. I totally understand your emotions and your feelings. Hugs,
TT
Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Welcome to SR. I am very sorry for the reasons that brought you here. There are many wise people here that have walked in similar shoes. You are not alone.

I hope you continue to post, read and find some peace from this site.

God bless
Old 04-06-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you IlovemysonJJ.

She doesn't think that she needs treatment because she knows what she needs to do after spending time in six facilities. I told her today that I can't continue a relationship until she fully embraces sobriety, which includes no drugs (prescribed or not), getting rid of old friends, and working a program. She says that she sees a sponsor twice a week, yet rarely attends meeting because "those" people's life stories are too depressing. I'm not convinced that her sponsor story is true, as she's a professional liar. I think she's still fighting it and in denial. However, she respects my opinion (most of the time), and does listen to my advice and try to follow it. If I tell her that she needs to do A, B or C, she will usually try to do that. It just never lasts or she just follows through on maybe only A. She trusts me and my guidance. I believe that I've helped her at least a little bit it sending her in the right direction, but the rest has to come from her. She is willing to listen to me discuss her issues. She doesn't tell me to go f myself and hang up which is good, I think. She is a people pleaser, so she may just follow some of my advice to please me, and to keep me around because she really needs and loves me. She told me today that she would try and find alternative non addictive meds for her "seizures" and "anxiety". She may be just telling me what I want to hear which she does quite often. And what kind of medical professional prescribes benzos to a drug addict? I'd like to have a chat with him
Old 04-06-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

She not only says that she desires sobriety, she says that she's sober. Ya, I don't think so.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bobo
There are so many parents here on SR who understand......a whole posse of them.

My son started using alcohol and drugs at around age 15. He was able to function for a few years, go to college (but didnt finish), got into some legal trouble along the way (no felonies however), another run at college.....he went through two inpatient and two out patient treatment programs, eventually became homeless and lost everything, his car, all of his possessions, everything......except the clothes on his back and what could fit in a backpack.

I tumbled through his addiction doing everything (I thought) in my power to help him, encourage him, coerce him, bribe him, support him.....you name it.....I thought I could love him clean. We gave him every opportunity we could to get clean and sober.....spending tens of thousands of dollars in the process.

Letting go was the most difficult process I have ever dealt with. He was using meth and heroin (but meth was his DOC). After years of mourning the loss of my son who was still alive, I surrendered. I finally accepted that I was absolutely powerless over this disease. It seemed the more I wanted him to get clean, the deeper he went into his addiction. It wasn't that I didn't care any longer....nothing close to that.....it was just reaching a point of acceptance.

My son is clean and sober today.....he's coming up on his five month review. He's in a sober living program and is doing well. Considering where he's been....this is nothing short of miraculous.

I had gotten to the point you are at with your daughter. I loved my son but I couldn't be around the addict anymore. It was an assault on my emotional, psychological and spiritual well being. The interaction (any interaction) was toxic......and we were both going down.

If you find that the behaviors haven't changed and you suspect she is still using, trust your gut. And do what you need to do for you......there are so many of us who understand. We'll walk with you. You are not alone.

Take care of you.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

My last two doctors have prescribed benzos to me, and I'm in recovery. One of the main reasons I drank/used was self-medication for anxiety so disabling I could not move off my bed.

As for the original poster, her actions tell me she is using or abusing something. For me, it doesn't matter what my family members were using. What mattered to me was their behavior. Heroin, cocaine, over use of prescribed meds can all be a cause. I'm sorry you are having to deal with the Jekyll Hyde personality. My sister was like that and now I'm No Contact with her
Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shockozulu View Post
My last two doctors have prescribed benzos to me, and I'm in recovery. One of the main reasons I drank/used was self-medication for anxiety so disabling I could not move off my bed.

As for the original poster, her actions tell me she is using or abusing something. For me, it doesn't matter what my family members were using. What mattered to me was their behavior. Heroin, cocaine, over use of prescribed meds can all be a cause. I'm sorry you are having to deal with the Jekyll Hyde personality. My sister was like that and now I'm No Contact with her
It's ironic that after heroin, she found another diagnosis to justify her continued drug use. This kid has never been anxious in her life. I know as I've suffered with panic disorders and anxiety since her drug use took off. Sometimes, I can't even leave my house or drive a car. I think that she's claiming these symptoms to continue the party. She is a very smart kid who knows how to work the system. She wants mind altering drugs, and feels that she can justify benzos because they're prescribed by a doctor. I don't doubt your anxiety, but i doubt my daughter's, as I know her game. Do you act high, slur your words and talk like your drunk when taking benzos? She does, and I think that she's taking them recreationally and too many of them, hence the slurring and talking slowly.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
Bobo
There are so many parents here on SR who understand......a whole posse of them.

My son started using alcohol and drugs at around age 15. He was able to function for a few years, go to college (but didnt finish), got into some legal trouble along the way (no felonies however), another run at college.....he went through two inpatient and two out patient treatment programs, eventually became homeless and lost everything, his car, all of his possessions, everything......except the clothes on his back and what could fit in a backpack.

I tumbled through his addiction doing everything (I thought) in my power to help him, encourage him, coerce him, bribe him, support him.....you name it.....I thought I could love him clean. We gave him every opportunity we could to get clean and sober.....spending tens of thousands of dollars in the process.

Letting go was the most difficult process I have ever dealt with. He was using meth and heroin (but meth was his DOC). After years of mourning the loss of my son who was still alive, I surrendered. I finally accepted that I was absolutely powerless over this disease. It seemed the more I wanted him to get clean, the deeper he went into his addiction. It wasn't that I didn't care any longer....nothing close to that.....it was just reaching a point of acceptance.

My son is clean and sober today.....he's coming up on his five month review. He's in a sober living program and is doing well. Considering where he's been....this is nothing short of miraculous.

I had gotten to the point you are at with your daughter. I loved my son but I couldn't be around the addict anymore. It was an assault on my emotional, psychological and spiritual well being. The interaction (any interaction) was toxic......and we were both going down.

If you find that the behaviors haven't changed and you suspect she is still using, trust your gut. And do what you need to do for you......there are so many of us who understand. We'll walk with you. You are not alone.

Take care of you.

gentle hugs
ke
Good for your son. I wish him peace in his life and continued sobriety.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

The combo of methadone and a benzo mimics the high of the heroin, and it can be a deadly mix. Everything you described looks like active drug use

It sounds like you have a good relationship with her and it also sounds as if her attitude towards you is not abusive. Instead of the complete cutoff, it’s OK to say I love you and maybe we can talk later when you’re not slurring.

And, have you ever thought about talking about everything else other than her addiction and her recovery, stop giving her advice, and wait for the questions?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
The combo of methadone and a benzo mimics the high of the heroin, and it can be a deadly mix. Everything you described looks like active drug use

It sounds like you have a good relationship with her and it also sounds as if her attitude towards you is not abusive. Instead of the complete cutoff, it’s OK to say I love you and maybe we can talk later when you’re not slurring.

And, have you ever thought about talking about everything else other than her addiction and her recovery, stop giving her advice, and wait for the questions?
At the point that I stop discussing her active addiction is the day that I stop loving her. I do discuss other things with her, but it always comes back to addiction because most of her conversation is about her current chaos which I can't ignore. She slurs during every conversation which disgusts me, hence my need to parent and offer advice that is given softly with love. I don't scream at her or insult. I offer her options, and give her alternatives to consider. She tells her therapist that I'm usually right on the money. I cannot ignore the elephant in the room. I can only do that by cutting off contact completely. If I only speak with her when she's not slurring, I would never be talking to her, as she slurs 24/7. I will not enable her and pretend everything is ok when she's killing herself. How would you respond to your kid who is telling you about her 50th court date for domestic violence, ticket for drinking underage, past drug use stories, dislike of NA meetings, drug prescriptions, etc. It gets old and tiresome real quick. She only discusses other things 20% of each conversation.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maybe try email contact? No slurring and concrete dialogue that she can refer back to later if she needs to. It makes for more thoughtful conversation sometimes.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

6mg a day of xanex is a extremely high dose. She is probably having blackouts daily. IDK if you said she was on methadone or not but like another poster stated, the combination of methadone & xanex is a very commonly abused combo. There was a special HBO documentry on it many years ago. The withdrawal from that combo is probably more dangerous & harder than heroin alone.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Bobolicious View Post
At the point that I stop discussing her active addiction is the day that I stop loving her. I do discuss other things with her, but it always comes back to addiction because most of her conversation is about her current chaos which I can't ignore. She slurs during every conversation which disgusts me, hence my need to parent and offer advice that is given softly with love. I don't scream at her or insult. I offer her options, and give her alternatives to consider. She tells her therapist that I'm usually right on the money. I cannot ignore the elephant in the room. I can only do that by cutting off contact completely. If I only speak with her when she's not slurring, I would never be talking to her, as she slurs 24/7. I will not enable her and pretend everything is ok when she's killing herself. How would you respond to your kid who is telling you about her 50th court date for domestic violence, ticket for drinking underage, past drug use stories, dislike of NA meetings, drug prescriptions, etc. It gets old and tiresome real quick. She only discusses other things 20% of each conversation.
Most of here understand your excruciating pain. Trying to talk about addiction to an active addict is very frustrating and virtually pointless. The drugs have hijacked her brain and are the controlling force. While the addiction is active, she will do everything to protect and sustain it.

I struggled with this one for a long time, thinking I could still reason with him. I knew better then to ever try and discuss a serious topic with someone who was drunk, yet I couldn't make the same connection with someone on drugs.

Your daughter has been to six treatment centers, she already has the knowledge and the tools, now she has to want to use them for recovery. Sadly, it doesn't sound like she is there yet.

The real question is what is best for you at this point. Only you can decide if contact with her right now is more harmful then positive.

Please know you and your daughters are in my prayers.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Bobolicious,

Welcome to SR. It sounds like you have been through the mill.

Have you thought about setting boundaries with her to enable you to continue some limited contact? This is what I am doing with some of my family members that are not drug users but still not healthy.

Your daughter does not sound ready to quit yet.

I disagree with one thing. I've never met a drug addict (and I've known a number) that was not using drugs to cover up some deep pain or trauma. Your daughter started young and perhaps did so without thought, but something makes people pick up and causes them continue. It might not be anxiety per se, but people in her shoes aren't just doing it for fun. It stopped being fun a long time ago. She has two overdoses and six rehabs to show for it.

Boundaries could be like this:
-I will not talk to her while she is slurring, I will end the call politely
-I will not visit with her in person while I believe she is using. I will leave.

That sort of thing.

I would consider directly telling her that you do not want to hear words about her recovery, you only want to see it.

I would also tell her your own definition of recovery: not substances period and and active program. That until then you cannot, for your own well being and hers have more than an occasional phone conversation.

That's my way of doing things, of course but maybe something will strike you.

I do recommend getting involved in al-anon or nar-anon. Whether through reading and working the steps or through going to live meetings. It has helped me very much. There are other ways, that is mine.

Peace and Prayers for you and your daughter,
Hanna
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
Hi Bobolicious,

Welcome to SR. It sounds like you have been through the mill.

Have you thought about setting boundaries with her to enable you to continue some limited contact? This is what I am doing with some of my family members that are not drug users but still not healthy.

Your daughter does not sound ready to quit yet.

I disagree with one thing. I've never met a drug addict (and I've known a number) that was not using drugs to cover up some deep pain or trauma. Your daughter started young and perhaps did so without thought, but something makes people pick up and causes them continue. It might not be anxiety per se, but people in her shoes aren't just doing it for fun. It stopped being fun a long time ago. She has two overdoses and six rehabs to show for it.

Boundaries could be like this:
-I will not talk to her while she is slurring, I will end the call politely
-I will not visit with her in person while I believe she is using. I will leave.

That sort of thing.

I would consider directly telling her that you do not want to hear words about her recovery, you only want to see it.

I would also tell her your own definition of recovery: not substances period and and active program. That until then you cannot, for your own well being and hers have more than an occasional phone conversation.

That's my way of doing things, of course but maybe something will strike you.

I do recommend getting involved in al-anon or nar-anon. Whether through reading and working the steps or through going to live meetings. It has helped me very much. There are other ways, that is mine.

Peace and Prayers for you and your daughter,
Hanna

I agree 110% that drugs are a symptom of a bigger problem. She has been through a lot of trauma in her life (before the age of eleven), in addition to some personality issues that she's had since birth. A prefect storm of sorts. I do think that until an addict addresses those underlying problems, sobriety is hard to maintain.

I haven't seen her in thirteen months, and just started speaking with her last week after seven months of no contact. The first day we spoke, I asked her what she was on because I could here it in her speech. She denied usage until a few days later. As a non drug using person, I can spot drug use a mile away, so it amazes me that she lies to me about it. She knows that I know.

I have a trip planned in four weeks to surprise her. I'm either going to cut off contact prior to that or go, and see how she looks and behaves, and decide then. If I see her in person, I will better know if she's using more than Xanax. I thought of taking her to an addiction specialist where we can both address our concerns. I'm not 100% on the trip because if I see track marks or her nodding out at dinner, it may be too much for me, but at least it will make up my mind about the no contact.

One other thing, she says that she still has marks on the tops of her hands from shooting heroin. There are two of them. They look like sores with blue/purple discoloration around them. She says that she hasn't used heroin for a year. Do they last that long? I find it hard to believe that they do.

It's so hard to believe anything that she says.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

What is your reason for a surprise visit?

Personally, I don't enjoy unexpected guests, but that's just me.....

ETA. Have you watched the video Pleasure Unwoven?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
What is your reason for a surprise visit?

Personally, I don't enjoy unexpected guests, but that's just me.....

ETA. Have you watched the video Pleasure Unwoven?
What is pleasure unwoven? I will google it.

My daughter would love it if I showed up unannounced, especially after a year of not seeing each other. She's been begging for me to come visit her forever or to come and see me. My kids and I love surprises. Not everybody shares our views on that. I was going to rent a home close to her, and if I go, I guarantee that she will want to stay at my rental than at her home. I know it seems nonsensical, but we're best buddies when things are going well. My kids would rather hang out with me than their friends. When I was a kid and an adult, I would rather hang out with anyone other than my parents, but they were not nice people.

I showed up unannounced when she was in her first treatment center (yrs ago)on the west coast, and she screamed when she saw me and cried her eyes out with joy. She couldn't wait to introduce me to her friends and counselors. We have a very special bond. I raised both of them by myself, and we call ourselves, the three musketeers. We did everything together. Some may call it co-dependency. We call it being best friends.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hope all goes well for you.
gentle hugs
ke