OuttoLunch, et al

Old 04-06-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

if there was ever a time for dancing bananas......

(EG, you seem to have a "gift" - maybe try for a winning lotto ticket next!!! )
Old 04-06-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

And she come back with a bang!! Gotta love her wisdom and style!!

Old 04-06-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
And she come back with a bang!! Gotta love her wisdom and style!!

Oops, came back i meant!!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

and I think you meant THIS scorecard?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

oh man. If I ever needed this place it is now, and I cannot express enough how everyone keeps me accountable. he newbies remind me of where I was, and how just one thought could send me spiraling back there, and veterans give me hope of where I want to be.
even though this place is sacred and anonymous, I find myself often quoting the wisdom I have gleaned here. "a dear friend of mine once said... "

hugs everyone

Old 04-06-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Englishgarden... you and everyone else here - have literally changed my life around... you gave me the tools. And you reminded me of who I am - and you filled my heart and life with love. Thank you and God bless you all
Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

We all need breaks from here once in a while.

Anvilhead did it, Cynical One did it, I do it, but don't resign, just step back, do some reading of posts, very few 'thanks' and get some air.

My AA sponsor was the first to explain to me that we give, and give, and give, and eventually we become empty, then it is time to go to a meeting or two or three etc to fill back up again, or for those not in a 12 step program, to put our ES&H on hold and go read some trashy novels for fun, lol just to give us time to 'fill back up.'

I saw the 'wisdom' in Beverly's words and have made a 'practice' of doing this ever since I got my first sponsee.

In all these years, one of the few I have never seen take a break is our dear beloved Ann!!!!! She is always here. Even now during the hectic 'tax' season she finds time! doG BLESS YOU ANN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please all remember one thing:

Without all of us, the newcomer, the oldtimer and those in between, this site would not be the HELP it is to so so many!!!

Onward we go ........................................

Love and hugs,
Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Boo-yah! There she is!
So great to see you Cynical One. Slay any dragons recently?

Anvilhead, love those dancing bananas, they are perfect for this occasion.

Lily, I do that too. I leave out the names, but remember the point.

Ann, I would love to sit by the lake with you and talk.

Thank you all, for all of you make this place the great place that it is now.

Beth
Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
In all these years, one of the few I have never seen take a break is our dear beloved Ann!!!!! She is always here. Even now during the hectic 'tax' season she finds time! doG BLESS YOU ANN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We get to take breaks? I missed the memo!!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
We get to take breaks? I missed the memo!!
Furry bunny slippers are excluded from the "break" rule. Just sayin....
Old 04-06-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
LOL. Nor is this concept anything new. Family involvement has been tested since Bill W., it reemerged again back in the 80’s with the crack epidemic, and then again in the late 90’s/early 00’s when all the “professional interventionists” saw that there is big money in addiction treatment and came out of the woodwork.
The changes happening now are new because they are based on scientific evidence, and statistical evidence regarding what works in terms of treatment. Knowledge that did not exist and was not accepted by the medical field years ago. Changes happening now are based on addiction being viewed as a disease instead of a choice. Blows some old theories away as far as Im concerned. Lots of good things happening, and its never going to go back to the way it was. hopefully this means people will get better care. With the person that brought me to this forum, his success is his own, but there were family members and friends who were with him, and enabled his “recovery” right from the start. This is what I hope happens more often when people begin to view addiction as a disease, and the “addict” stereotypes go away, and the person becomes a “patient” in need of medical care, and the support of their family.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

LOL. Again, this is nothing new. The disease model has been around since the 50's.

Next alter?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I also have missed the people English Garden mentioned, I have learned something from most everyone here... I was one of the people who would get very upset at some of the replies only too find out later the reason for me doing so was because what I was told hit too close to home.

When I was able to finally see that I was able to slowly make changes and for that I am grateful to those people and God. My life is much better now I still have a ways to go but progress not perfection.

I thank everyone for all their post without them I would not be where I am today.
Thank you all for walking with me and showing me the way as well as picking me up when I stumble.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Deuche, thank you for your input. I am interested in seeing any information you can share regarding scientific and statistical evidence as I have been having difficultly finding new or updated information. Thank you in advance, LMN
Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
LOL. Again, this is nothing new. The disease model has been around since the 50's.

Next alter?
Welcome back! Am I repeating myself?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

huh, here's an article from 2000...from the feds no less.

NIDA - Drug Abuse and Addiction: One of America's Most Challenging Public Health Problems

or if we want to go back a few more years, 350 or so:

In 1774, the philanthropist and social reformer Anthony Benezet expressed his alarm at changing drinking practices in colonial America.

In the first American treatise on alcoholism, Benezet challenged the prevailing view of alcohol as a gift from God. He christened alcohol a "bewitching poison," described "unhappy dram-drinkers bound in slavery," and noted the tendency for drunkenness to self-accelerate. ("Drops beget drams, and drams beget more drams, till they become to be without weight or measure.")

Benezet's warning was followed in 1784 by Dr. Benjamin Rush's Inquiry into the Effects of Ardent Spirits on the Human Mind and Body.

Rush achieved five things with this highly influential pamphlet: . He medically catalogued the signs of acute and chronic drunkenness.
. He introduced a more medicalized language into the discussion of intemperance by describing "persons addicted to ardent spirits" and by declaring that chronic drunkenness was an "odious disease" and a "disease induced by a vice."
. He medically confirmed Benezet's observation about the progressiveness of intemperance by noting that such episodes "gradually increase in their frequency."
. He offered medical speculation about the causes of this disease.
. He provided the first recommended treatments for chronic drunkenness based on a disease concept of addiction.
Rush later used this embryonic disease concept to call for the creation of a special facility (a "sober house") to care for the drunkard.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Oh Anvil, the feds…really? At least dust off some back issues of the NEJM or other independent studies before resorting to government sites on addiction.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

ok, FINE, how about from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous???? The Doctor's Opinion, circa 1934.

Big Book Online - the doctor's opinion
Old 04-06-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Or more recently (published in 1981) "Under the Influence" by James Milam, PhD and Katherine Ketchem.....described as a life-saving approach to alcoholism (addiction), who and why it strikes and how to treat the disease. A very detailed and well accepted publication on the disease model.

When a patient will not abide by the advice (or medication) of their medical provider, they are considered "non compliant". As with any disease, the treatment is only as good as the compliance of the patient.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
ok, FINE, how about from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous???? The Doctor's Opinion, circa 1934.

Big Book Online - the doctor's opinion
What edition? lol.