Alanon

Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alanon

What should I expect at an alanon meeting?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/what-can-i-expect
Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In addition to what the article may say (didnt read it) you can expect:

- to be welcomed by others who have gone through similar challenges that you're going through as a result of having an addicted love one

- they will read from al anon materials and talk about any business related to their meeting

- they will have a topic of discussion and you may be invited to stay for that or invited or asked if you would like a newcomer's meeting. ( I suggest taking them up in the newcomers meeting so you can get familiar and have a smaller group to share your story and situation in too)

- they will pass a basket for donations (most ppl put a dollar) since all meetings are self-supporting, but you don't have to put anything in it.

- most groups take turns with people speaking. If it comes around to you, and you don't want to talk you can say pass.

- you will be in a safe space to talk about anything on your heart and mind if you choose to speak.

- they usually last an hour. Some go longer.

I hope you do choose to go and give it a chance to help you. I went bc I was desperate for help and had no clue what to expect.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Shinebright
You did an excellent job of explaining what happens in a meeting!

Mareahh
As time goes on, it may be gently suggested that you find a sponsor. This is someone you can spill your guts to and talk about things that you may not have time to talk about in a meeting. This is also the individual who can guide you through the process of working the steps.

I am always amazed at how many people do not ask someone to be their sponsor. My sponsor has become a dear friend to me.....she is someone I can tell just about anything to and not feel judged. She tells me when I'm off track but does so in a gentle and loving manner. And we LAUGH.....so much!

I hope your meetings go well.

gentle hugs
ke