There is a difference!!

Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

There is a difference!!

So as many of you know, my husband tried the suboxone route when he first attempted recovery. He tapered too fast, had bad withdrawals and relapsed. But all in all, I "liked" him (how he acted) on suboxone.

Now he has tried the Vivitrol shot and says there is a HUGE difference. Yesterday he told me the subs were so addicting and really did mimic pain pills. There was "kind of" a high still. He liked the energy it gave him and the overall feeling of being "calm." But for him, he still didn't like needing a pill to function.

Well, the shot is forcing him to deal with life on life's term. There is no way out now - at least for a month. He says it offers no "help" like suboxone did.

I can see the difference too. He is a little edgy and has been short with me a few times. I did not engage and did not allow him to effect my mood. The more I just ignore his struggles, the more remorse he feels and tries to make amends. We had a great weekend (cookout, shopping, cooking, etc) and last night, he took me to dinner, we had a great time and I knew he was really trying to be very loving and romantic. Thank God for no recovery/addiction talk!!

He continues his meetings, steps - etc, etc. Oh and tonight I will finally be meeting his therapist. I had completely forgot until now. Should be interesting.

P.S. I am not advocating or condemning either method. I am just merely sharing for those interested.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Just to clarify, it has stopped all the cravings and thoughts about drugs but he still has some very compulsive/obsessive thinking that he hopes working the steps and therapy will help with. He admits to the "something is missing" feeling too.

I was kind of shocked to hear him tell me what some of things he actually obsesses over. One of them was the way I parked my car in the drive way. Really??
Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im glad to hear this good news!!! I say if it helps then why not? Hugs to you
Old 03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
Im glad to hear this good news!!! I say if it helps then why not? Hugs to you
Only time will tell. Like me, he still has to really want it and a lot of hard work to do.

Thank you though Lily, your posts are always so sweet!