OT. I made a huge investment in my son today

Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT. I made a huge investment in my son today

I bought him a nook! It was a very expensive for me and my budget, but I am so glad I did!!! I downloaded a BUNCH of autism apps. It is a huge blessing. It talks for him!!!! Like Stephen Hawking!!!! All he does is press the photo and it says whatever I program it to! "Hello, my name is D, I have to go to the bathroom, Can we go to the park today? Im hungry, Im sad, you're silly, may I have a drink please? Can we go home now?" Anything... ANYTHING he could ever need to say... ever. He is 100% non verbal and I am BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS there are vocabulary games..... it is never ending and he loves it. You see... he has about a 300 word vocabulary, and understands what we say to him but cant say it back. Even in this first day he is sooooo much more calm because he is understood. I cannot even begin to explain the peace that has entered my home even in this short time and he hasn't even learned all of the features yet. I have felt so bad for so long because I had no clue how to bridge the communication gap.

I have long said the serenity prayer regarding my dear boy... I've long accepted what I cannot change, he does not talk. He probably never will, but as of today, I have begun to change the things I can! Thanks for letting me share this totally irrelevant and OT post. You all are such great inspirations to me, and have helped me so much on my journey to finding me.

I had a conversation with my 4 year old son today for the first time :,) I know it was through a machine.... but still.... :,)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

WOW!!!

That is quite a share!!!! I am so glad you shared this with us!

I am so happy for you and your son, that is quite an accomplishment! This sounds like it has bridged the gap for you and your son. What fun and learning he will accomplish now!

I am really happy for both of you!

Thank you for sharing this small but important action you were able to take to improve both of your lives!

Please keep letting us in so we can follow your beautiful boy's progress, I know this has made my heart smile and as you post more my heart will again get to smile.

Oodles and oodles of love and bunches of hugs,
Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Lily, I am so touched by your post I have tears. I have a friend with an autistic child and my heart just warms every time I hear of anything that can help the child and the parents.

What a breakthrough for your son. Yes, he will still have obstacles ahead but being able to communicate is a huge accomplishment.

Hugs of joy
Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

P.S. I am giggling here thinking that when he first gets used to this, you may not be able to shut him up, lol, he's got 4 years of words to tell you.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lily
Thank you for sharing. It touched my heart too. It sounds like that Nook was well worth the investment! I can feel the joy in your post! Please....keep us posted! I am also wondering if he will try to cram four years of communication into the next few days!
gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lily that is just wonderful! I am trying to imagine how he must feel finally being about to say aloud what he is feeling, what he needs.

What a blessing for both of you!

Love and hugs to you,
Hanna
Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a blessing!!! No, a Miracle!!!!!!

So happy for you both!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh goodness this morning he is chatterboxing like crazy!!!! My daughter was like " D! Be quiet!!!!" Lol!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Oh goodness this morning he is chatterboxing like crazy!!!! My daughter was like " D! Be quiet!!!!" Lol!!!
OMG, roflmao how wonderful for him and you!!!!

I am so happy!

Love and hugs,
Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I don't find it irrelevant at all. It seems like a miracle and I am so very happy you shared it here. Made my day....
Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so happy for you and your son. I work in an educational setting and sometimes I work with autistic students. The autistic kids I have worked with are so smart. Even though they may not always be able to communicate effectively, I am amazed by the way some of them solve problems (especially math).

The nook may have been a bit pricey, but the joy it will bring you and your son is pricelss. Thanks for sharing such a positive story!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Not sure how I missed this thread BUT how awesome for him and you!! God is really working in your life, so many blessings to be thankful for.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Awesome Lily...
I too am the mom of a child with autism. My son did not speak either at all until he was about 6, and even then for many many years only I could understand him (even that was not a guarantee). Now he is 15 and although his language delays are severe, he is able to converse, no where near age appropriate, but he can talk. In fact, because he is a triplet, he has the influence of same age brothers and their friends, so he even says "bad words" (!) I have to tell him no, but I'm not gonna lie, secretly my heart sings when he is able to use an expletive correctly lol

My son at age 4 and now at age 15 is like night and day. I just wanted to send you a little hope from one mom to another.

and...if he never speaks, that's ok too, because as you know (and is evidence by the new tool you got him) "Not being able to talk, does not mean you have nothing to say."

Best to you. xo
Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Awesome Lily...
I too am the mom of a child with autism. My son did not speak either at all until he was about 6, and even then for many many years only I could understand him (even that was not a guarantee). Now he is 15 and although his language delays are severe, he is able to converse, no where near age appropriate, but he can talk. In fact, because he is a triplet, he has the influence of same age brothers and their friends, so he even says "bad words" (!) I have to tell him no, but I'm not gonna lie, secretly my heart sings when he is able to use an expletive correctly lol

My son at age 4 and now at age 15 is like night and day. I just wanted to send you a little hope from one mom to another.

and...if he never speaks, that's ok too, because as you know (and is evidence by the new tool you got him) "Not being able to talk, does not mean you have nothing to say."

Best to you. xo
oh what hope you give me :,)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Very touching!So nice to hear something so positive!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this joy with us ! I am so happy for you both. I mean I cant even imagine how wonderful you both must feel, and how thrilling it must be for him. OMG. JUST WONDERFUL.