functioning alcoholic and non functioning

Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

functioning alcoholic and non functioning

Okay so my ex fiance is a alcoholic, his dad is a very high functioning alcholic. He's been drinking for probably over 30 years and his wife and him raised 3 children and he still holds a job. He drinks everyday, after work and then on the weekends when he is off work. I think my ex thinks he can be like his dad but he is far from it....my ex has threatened, and he says tried to commit suicide several times b/c of alcohol, he's left work early to go drink on random occasions...maybe like every 6 months he has a break down and cries and says he wants help and all this stuff. I think he does have some problems besides alcohol, anxiety runs in the family so i think he has that but not sure if anything else. Its just so crazy how is dad is so functioning and can live like a normal person but drink. I feel as though my ex will never quit b/c he see's his father who is still married and drinking ( also i know his mom is not completely happy bc she tells me things that are just crazy ..she quit her job so that he wouldnt have enough money to be able to drink and maybe he would quit.) I just dont understand how one is completely different then the other. Has anyone dealt with this? Im thinking the only way he will quit if his father does, which he wont he's been drinking for 30+ yrs ...or if my ex gets so miserable enough that he cant take it anymore