Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Why do I feel like I'm back in high school...or maybe middle school?!?!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel like I'm back in school, trying to impress my teenage boyfriend only to get stood up?My husband asked me last night if I would like to get together and have dinner with the family. I was considering it even though I would be cooking it. He told me that we should try to start over (for the millionth time).Already today, he called me(surprised that he even did that) to tell me that he "forgot"that he had promised a friend that he would help him move. Yeah, right! I feel like I have been doing EVERYTHING to impress him for the past 8months.Immaculate house, new recipes, well behaved children. I even cut my hair! Nothing works!!! Well, I am competing with an addiction! I have felt like I was dealing with a teenage, juvenile delinquent for months now. The lies, sneaking around,taking off and running away from home, ect.I've even tried grounding him. Didn't work.What am I thinking? I'm not at all surprised that I got stood up.AGAIN!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went through that stage, for a long time. (as a matter of fact i just posted that I wanted his attention. funny...) until just about a month ago. Buy sexy undies, lost weight, waited by the phone for his call, heart fluttered when he called to say "well have lunch" Only to be let down by another excuse at 11:50! I got over it. Eventually you will to... Your right. you are competing with an addiction that is much stronger than you will ever be. I'm just now learning that I can't do any thing for him and all my hopes and dreams for us have changed. I'm just now learning that I need new hopes and dreams... for me... and my kids...
Do something fun for YOU. this sounds so trivial but i just started having my nails done. Something I gave up years ago when we got married. And even that little thing has given me a little hope.
Keep your head up!
Didn't mean to hi-jack your post...Just wanted you to know someone else "gets" it.