Low dopamine levels.....

Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Low dopamine levels.....

I've been researching low dopamine levels. Has anyone ever been tested? Drug addicts need that feeling of euphoria. Scientists believe that while drug addicts like the hand to mouth motion or using a needle, they also have very low dopamine levels. So low, that some people believe an addict actually can die from this. How does the normal person make dopamine? We exercise, laughing, feelings of pleasure, etc....
How do drug addicts make it? The same way, but because they are using drugs, the drugs kind of squash what the body makes.

My husband has agreed to a full level blood and saliva test. While expensive, I am hoping that getting answers and then using a treatment suited for him, will work. Vitamin replacement therapy, cryotherapy, sauna, etc....

Just a random thought for the day.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: Caucasian;West Coast; Husband sometimes breathes fire; hence his nickname Dragon & mine Mrs. Dragon
Yes, my son struggles with this also. His drug choice cocaine. Truly it does affect the brain, dopamine levels are altered and it is a very big issue for recovery. Im very happy to hear your husband is getting proper medical attention. Also, it is very wise to educate yourself about the effects of the drugs your husband uses. It has helped my husband and I to better understand the issues our son deals with in regards to the drug use.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My boyfriend is being affected by this right now. He is trying to kick cocaine use. He was using everyday, and in this last month he has used only a couple of times. Before he started to quit, he was doing a lot of research, and we talked at length about how this would happen to him. The decrease in dopamine causes depression. He also has anxiety, and he has trouble sleeping. His new doctor says he needs to let his body readjust on its own over time for the most part and it will get better. There are also some medications that he can use, but he wants him to wait if possible.

I have been calling his mood swings, like extreme PMS !! (I havent said this to him, but it is what I use to help me relate).

Its really great your husband is going through a full exam. Sounds like he has a good doctor. I hope they come up with a treatment plan that works well for him.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Daisy,

I don't know when it will happen. He's agreed to it. That does not mean he will do it. He tried cryotherapy this evening. It is a shower like chamber that is filled with nitrogen. It was interesting, but he didn't last the 3 minutes because he couldn't breathe. I hope he will try it again, but I do not know.

I have been reading so much about dopamine. Yes, depression is a symptom. It seems my husband has all the symptoms. I am curious if it works.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hmmm... well... my bf chose to lock himself up away from the world for awhile and will slowly wean himself in over the next year. He wants to try to allow his brain to reset on its own... everybody is different, and there is no one right way, but you can't fix his dopamine levels... only he can, and that takes time, lots and lots of time...
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natsy View Post
Daisy,

I don't know when it will happen. He's agreed to it. That does not mean he will do it. He tried cryotherapy this evening. It is a shower like chamber that is filled with nitrogen. It was interesting, but he didn't last the 3 minutes because he couldn't breathe. I hope he will try it again, but I do not know.

I have been reading so much about dopamine. Yes, depression is a symptom. It seems my husband has all the symptoms. I am curious if it works.

Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for sharing this information Natsy. I wasnt familiar with cryotherapy but I googled it. Sounds very interesting, and like it would have definite potential to aid in those types of symptoms. I am very interested in learning about various treatments, both medical and holistic that can assist with recovery.

My husbands main drug was pain meds - but he also abused the anxiety drug xanax and did some cocaine. It definetly had a big effect on him physiologically.
I may have missed it, but what drug is your husband addicted to?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

I am reading In the realm of hungry ghosts at the moment and he describes it very well. Unfortunately, the longer the drug use continues, the lower the dopamine levels will get and the longer the brain will take to produce sufficient levels of its own.

Its a vicious cycle. If they could come up with a drug that could get the brain back to produce its own quickly, recovery will be so much easier.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunshine2 View Post
I am reading In the realm of hungry ghosts at the moment and he describes it very well. Unfortunately, the longer the drug use continues, the lower the dopamine levels will get and the longer the brain will take to produce sufficient levels of its own.

Its a vicious cycle. If they could come up with a drug that could get the brain back to produce its own quickly, recovery will be so much easier.
Happy to hear you are reading the book, In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Dr. Gabor Mate. I read it, and several other of his books. To me, great stuff. Also, he was the focus of the article by the Times on Kind Love beating Tough Love…. Which I posted about a couple months ago.

Personally, I wish more people would take the time to understand the impact the drugs have on the body/mind & therefore the spirit of the person with the addiction.

Wont go off topic… but there are medications available just as there are for those that have clinical depression, et all without the substance abuse. My husband was given meds in rehab to help him. They took time to kick in, but they worked their trick. He’s off everything now however.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

** Thread hijack ahead **

I haven't finished it yet, so I can't give a full opinion. So far, there are some things I totally disagree with and some helpful information.

For instance, he says that the reason so many people are addicted to nicotine, is because it is legal and readily available. Yet he puts forth an argument that humanity is being deprived because pain pills are not easily prescribed anymore because of fear of addiction and it should be freely available to all. I see a glaring contradiction.

I still do not agree with him as far as parenting goes. He says clearly that hard-core addicts did not have a parent who loved them and showed affection when they were little. I just don't think it is true. Whilst I think if someone was abused when they were little, they have a bigger chance to abuse substances, I think the reasons are much more complex than that.

I get a distinct impression that his ego is at play with a "look what a good person I am to work with addicts".

He obviously only deals with hard-core addicts and do not seem to have interaction with their families to hear their side of the story, so shares a one-sided view.

It is good to get different viewpoints and then make up one's own mind. I bought it because it was mentioned here a while ago.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The longer a person uses drugs, the worst it affects the brain...and dopamine levels, endorphins and serotonin too. It may take years to restore these receptors. Exercise and good diet help, most definitely staying off drugs is a must...a person doctor can suggest what is best for them.

Sometimes the damage cannot be restored to "normal" levels, most time it can with diligent care.

My son used drugs to get "high" (boosting the levels of all these things). After a while he took drugs to just feel "normal" as he had damaged the brain's receptors. Ongoing drug use will kill his brain, he and I both know this. I pray it does not.

Again, I cannot stress enough, his doctor is the best person to order testing and recommend a treatment. It's the only way to get it right and messing with the brain after all that abuse is dangerous to try any other way.

Hugs
Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Along the same lines, when we codependents get on the 'crazy train' and all the 'drama'
ensues, many of us have a hard time getting away from the 'drama.' Would you like
to know why?

It seems that when we are engaged in this 'drama' our adrenalin rises, dramatically,
and of course, then we get the 'lows' after the drama is over.

Here I had thought once in recovery for a while and I was returning to 'normal' func-
tioning and whammo had other stuff going on still with the hubby. Sheesh Had my
then Dr explain it to me. I have asked my Drs since then and each one has confirmed
that when we are involved in a verbal fight, or see an attack, or even a car accident,
etc our adrenalin starts to flow, and then we don't feel real good after the 'incident'
is over.

This also why is is 'strongly suggested' over in the Alcoholism and Substance Abuse
forums that the individual seek out a Doctor BEFORE attempting to Detox. Many
things can happen to a human body when the individual takes away the drugs they
have been putting into it, and not just dopamine levels. The person can be dehydrated
to the point of low or no potassium in the brain, causing tremors and then seizures,
etc Detoxing can be DEADLY. Medical supervision is really a must, although I have
to admit, most A's in their altered reality believe they can do it alone.

As much as we love our A's it still comes down to what can we do for ourselves?

Love and hugs,
Old 03-01-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are many people born dopamine deficient or inefficient. Same thing with endorphins. By the way, Parkinson's is caused by dopamine deficiency. Some people are just screwed

I went on wellbutrin to stop smoking last May and I've stayed on it. A nice little side benefit is that I don't drink half as much coffee anymore (coffee is also a dopamine stimulant). Another benefit is that I've not suffered from SAD this winter. I've only had a problem with SAD the last couple of years and it's menopause related -- I'm 49 so all my hormones are in flux.

My daughter (recovering IV opiate addict) has started wellbutrin too. Her addictionologist said every addict is 'something' deficient. It was her choice to continue slogging thru lethargy or get a little help. When she saw how much it helped me, she signed on too. I did say "I told you so" when she started feeling like a million bucks
Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I personally think it is important for the substance abuser to get OFF all drugs for a length of time before adding MORE drugs to the mix. how else can an accurate determination of their "condition" be made?

my husband had what appeared to be a form of ADD (even as a small child a physician recommended he go on Ritalin)...now mind you we were doing crack with regularity which meant food and sleep were hit and miss. during our non-using times, what I began to notice was how sketchy he would get if he did not have something to eat every few hours. i'd chase him around with a glass of juice, some cheese, or a sandwich and as SOON as he ate something, his entire mood and psychology would change.

many many years later post crack-apocalypse, he still needs to eat well and often, or he starts to get squirrely. his brain starts to misfire. he can easily get overwhelmed if too much info comes pouring in all at once. as he called it - he's a MONOtasker, not a multi-tasker. the delicate balance of his blood sugars REQUIRES a steady intake to stay in balance.

anyone who has been doing drugs is going to have a messed up physiology. its the result of adding poisons/toxins to our system. the addict body learns to adjust to the drug, compensate and become dependent on it in order to be OK. it isn't until all that crap is OUT of the system and the body/mind has had a chance to heal that any real assessment of what ELSE might be going can be discovered. this is only my opinion.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Along the same lines, when we codependents get on the 'crazy train' and all the 'drama'
ensues, many of us have a hard time getting away from the 'drama.' Would you like
to know why?

It seems that when we are engaged in this 'drama' our adrenalin rises, dramatically,
and of course, then we get the 'lows' after the drama is over.

Here I had thought once in recovery for a while and I was returning to 'normal' func-
tioning and whammo had other stuff going on still with the hubby. Sheesh Had my
then Dr explain it to me. I have asked my Drs since then and each one has confirmed
that when we are involved in a verbal fight, or see an attack, or even a car accident,
etc our adrenalin starts to flow, and then we don't feel real good after the 'incident'
is over.

This also why is is 'strongly suggested' over in the Alcoholism and Substance Abuse
forums that the individual seek out a Doctor BEFORE attempting to Detox. Many
things can happen to a human body when the individual takes away the drugs they
have been putting into it, and not just dopamine levels. The person can be dehydrated
to the point of low or no potassium in the brain, causing tremors and then seizures,
etc Detoxing can be DEADLY. Medical supervision is really a must, although I have
to admit, most A's in their altered reality believe they can do it alone.

As much as we love our A's it still comes down to what can we do for ourselves?

Love and hugs,
I wanted to say this about codependents but was unable to find the proper wording. It is most definitely true. It's where the term "adrenaline junkie" comes from. We need that fix chemically. I know that in my reality, I get bored when everything is ok. just a thought.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My husband, the oxycontin addict, doesn't want to accept scientific evidence of what drugs do to the brain. I became so exasperated, after nearly eight years of living with all the chaos I had to leave. I'm the one who did all the research and explained to him everything I learned about how the brain shuts down all it's natural releases and depends on the drug to give the body what it needs to function. Intellectually I guess he understands that but he's so accustomed to the instant high he gets when he takes unreal amounts of opiates, he doesn't want to sacrifice the amount of time it would take for the brain to get back to normal without the drugs. Viscious cycle, over and over. Exasperating! I have left that environment and I am working on getting myself detached completely. I apparently still think about all of it as I'm on this site reading and contemplating everyone's dilemmas. I seek indifference. For me that will be the freedom from all of it.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
Thank you for sharing this information Natsy. I wasnt familiar with cryotherapy but I googled it. Sounds very interesting, and like it would have definite potential to aid in those types of symptoms. I am very interested in learning about various treatments, both medical and holistic that can assist with recovery.

My husbands main drug was pain meds - but he also abused the anxiety drug xanax and did some cocaine. It definetly had a big effect on him physiologically.
I may have missed it, but what drug is your husband addicted to?
My husbands drug choice is pain medication as well. It's prescribed for a problem that my husband has. He was stabbed in the eye as a child and suffers severe pain. He was also run over by a car as a child. They are actually funny stories, but as he grew, he started experiencing the pains. He is a huge man. 6'5 270lbs. His mom said he was in 12 month old clothing when he was born. I was all for his treatment, but it all went down hill. When he started, he was able to do things without much pain. As the story goes, he started looking for the high. Now he doesn't get high and takes them to feel "normal." It's not whati consider normal because he doesn't know what normal is anymore.

I am all for trying anything. We are going tomorrow for another cryotherapy session.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Stabbed in the eye and ran over ! How awful. Lets hope he doesnt get hit by lightening - sorry me bad - lol . I have a friend that was hit by a schoolbus when he was a child, and he still suffers, but more emotional trauma than physical for him.

The pain meds they prescribe these days for chronic pain, they just set people up for addiction issues. My husband never used drugs, he did not mean for it to happen to him for sure. But once they had a hold on him.. well you know the rest.

Just curious.. do his doctors hope to get him off all pain meds, change it up, or just get him at a minimal level? Sounds like he has to find a way to deal with the chronic issues. And you do not have to discuss any of that if you dont want to. My husband had a couple of surgeries, physical therapy. He really needs another surgery but has an injury that did improve with ongoing therapy at least. His doctor wants to wait until he is at least a year clean to consider another surgery. But that is only a couple months off now. Sort of scary but i know we will deal with it if need be.

Hope things went well with his treatment today.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
Stabbed in the eye and ran over ! How awful. Lets hope he doesnt get hit by lightening - sorry me bad - lol . I have a friend that was hit by a schoolbus when he was a child, and he still suffers, but more emotional trauma than physical for him.

The pain meds they prescribe these days for chronic pain, they just set people up for addiction issues. My husband never used drugs, he did not mean for it to happen to him for sure. But once they had a hold on him.. well you know the rest.

Just curious.. do his doctors hope to get him off all pain meds, change it up, or just get him at a minimal level? Sounds like he has to find a way to deal with the chronic issues. And you do not have to discuss any of that if you dont want to. My husband had a couple of surgeries, physical therapy. He really needs another surgery but has an injury that did improve with ongoing therapy at least. His doctor wants to wait until he is at least a year clean to consider another surgery. But that is only a couple months off now. Sort of scary but i know we will deal with it if need be.

Hope things went well with his treatment today.
He fears lightening . I know it sounds terrible to call them funny stories, but my husband and his family are such great story tellers. My husband was a terror as a child. Thinking he was superman. Really. He even jumped off their top floor with a cape on to see if he could fly.

He cut his doctors off. He's trying this without drugs. We will see. I don't agree with replacing medication with another medication. We've sought the help of a holistic doctor, but that was a year ago and after $1000 and a cabinet full of vitamins, he never followed their suggestions. It's exhausting. I've gotten to the point that I just ignore it. I don't have the energy or will to be his crutch. I'm not handing him vitamins and a cup of water and forcing them down his throat. I spent weeks doing that and he was still taking pills. Screw him. Sorry.

I've paid for a gym membership. He's never gone. He needed a $2000 mountain bike. We bought it. He's hasn't ridden it in years. I came home one day to a bowflex on my front porch delivered by ups. It sat in my house for months. I started hanging laundry on it. I finally looked at my life and realized what I was doing. I dropped the gym membership and sold the bowflex.

He needs to just do this. He's had surgeries. Most recently, he had an eye transplant. While bing supportive, he is using it as a crutch. It's exhausting. Only time will tell.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natsy View Post
He fears lightening . I know it sounds terrible to call them funny stories, but my husband and his family are such great story tellers. My husband was a terror as a child. Thinking he was superman. Really. He even jumped off their top floor with a cape on to see if he could fly.

He cut his doctors off. He's trying this without drugs. We will see. I don't agree with replacing medication with another medication. We've sought the help of a holistic doctor, but that was a year ago and after $1000 and a cabinet full of vitamins, he never followed their suggestions. It's exhausting. I've gotten to the point that I just ignore it. I don't have the energy or will to be his crutch. I'm not handing him vitamins and a cup of water and forcing them down his throat. I spent weeks doing that and he was still taking pills. Screw him. Sorry.

I've paid for a gym membership. He's never gone. He needed a $2000 mountain bike. We bought it. He's hasn't ridden it in years. I came home one day to a bowflex on my front porch delivered by ups. It sat in my house for months. I started hanging laundry on it. I finally looked at my life and realized what I was doing. I dropped the gym membership and sold the bowflex.

He needs to just do this. He's had surgeries. Most recently, he had an eye transplant. While bing supportive, he is using it as a crutch. It's exhausting. Only time will tell.
He fears lightening... well I guess so ! That made me laugh so hard. Sorry about that... and the Bowflex... OMG Ive got one in my house ! I think you have a pretty good sense of humor yourself !

It sure sounds like you have every right to be exhausted. I cant offer much except to say I will keep you both in my prayers. Maybe his time will come soon and your family will be free of this burden.