He called!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy He called!

he called today that he is being released from rehab but his parents won't take him in the house again.
His only option is to find a homeless shelter.
This is really heartbreaking!!!
He sounded really down. I've never heard him talk like that before.
Just the thought of him not eating, no place to stay,
I pray to God he learns his lesson this time.
I'm just so sad. I know he hasn't made the right choices
But I don't wish this for no one.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It seems sad, but it might be what he needs to start taking responsibility for himself. He'll be alright.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree, it is sad...and I definitely wouldn't wish it on anyone either!!! But like janiebluebird said, he WILL be alright. I'm assuming he is an adult... he got himself into this mess, it is his responsibility to get himself out. If anyone else takes responsibility for it, it will prove to him that he doesn't need to be responsible for himself. Let him learn.
Hope you start feeling better!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

its not his only option. He can go to a sober living house that will give him 2-3 weeks before he has to pay rent to start and they will help him find a job. After he finds one he rent is really cheap.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

He can go to the Salvation Army, they have a free inpatient rehab program. After a few weeks he does need to get a job, but it won't kill him.

He'll be fine, addicts navigate the streets very well.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

His only option is to find a homeless shelter.
Did he tell you that? As others mentioned, it is not his only option.....but he may want you to think it is.

As others mentioned above, he does have the option of going into a sober living house (often referred to as an SLE = sober living environment). If he's just getting out of rehab, he knows this.....he just may not want to do it if he has "other options"......like convincing someone that he's going to have to live on the street or in a homeless shelter so that they let him come live with them.

Dollydo mentioned the Salvation Army as another option. The SA-ARC program offers "free" long term rehab (six months to a year). The "beneficiaries" are required to follow an almost military set of rules, work 40+ hours per week in their thrift store intake facility (in exchange for room, board, counseling, etc.), attend meetings and counseling, go to chapel two times per week and daily devotional each morning. It's a tough residential program that is available for anyone who is truly serious about their recovery.

I am always amazed when people say that there is only one option......when in truth there are always MANY options.......we just don't like some of them.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. And he tried the Salvation Army but they didn't accept him.
He could've lied I really don't know..
But it's all up to him..
I have decided not to help him.. I told him the only help he will ever get from me are prayers.
Few months ago asked i him for our savings for our "wedding" it's cancel now of course.
And his answer was I don't have anything
I spent it on drugs..
It was over 200 bucks I couldn't believe it.
But I learned my lesson.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are always options and maybe if he is forced to pick an option he doesn't like it will kick his butt into gear. Hopefully not having family instantly give him a place to stay and money for food he will realize just how bad is life has gotten due to drugs.

Great job not letting his "my only option is a homeless shelter" get you to invite him to stay with you. I know it was hard, but allowing him to come live with you will only turn your life upside down and you deserve a quiet, safe, and drama free household. Our addicts seem to think we owe them something, when we really don't. We all suffered enough, it is time to let them grow up.

I hope that you can find some peace today. If he continues to call I would be hesitant to keep answering since as he sees you are not going to change your mind he will most likely start harassing you and telling you how "bad" he has it right now.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you maylie, I never thought about it that way
And you're right I was doing fine until he called about the homeless shelter
Now Iam all sad..
It's going to be a challenge for me but I'm starting to see the more I talk to him
The worst I get.
I should avoid contact with him for a while. For my own good.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well... here in Arizona at least the only way the SA will turn away an addict is if they cannot pass the drug test. So, personally, I don't believe he has no place to go. He just doesn't like the options he has. Good for you for not letting him stay with you! stay strong. he needs to find his own path.