Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

He is so greatful that I'm in recovery,but he doesn't need help!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My husband is currently staying with his alcoholic /addict mom.(He is an alcohol /opiate addict.) I made him leave over a week ago and he has went from anger and blame to tears and apologies. He says that he will not let this marriage end.Says that he wants to make this marriage work and start fixing it.I told him that I am working on my recovery and he thinks that's great. But, when I told him that he needs to get help before we can work on our marriage, he sad he has nothing to get help for. He has admitted many times that he has a problem but now that it comes down to him getting into treatment before he is welcomed back home, he's in denial again.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm sorry you are going through this, it must be very painful.

His words that he wants to make this work need to be followed by actions. Words mean nothing if they cannot put positive actions behind them.

Your recovery will see you through this, hang on to your support and know we're walking with you.

Hugs
Old 02-24-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Reading the sticky What Addicts Do might be a good help, if you haven't already. It doesn't surprise me--he's used to you accommodating and enabling, just as my AD was. Stick to your decision, work on your recovery only and don't entertain any of his empty promises/words, only his actions. Making it about "saving the marriage" is such classic deflection it is cliche. Textbook. Hang in there.