Amy, My Daughter

Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Amy, My Daughter

I just got done reading Amy, My Daughter by Mitch Winehouse. It was difficult to read for many reasons--not the least of which is that I knew how it ended. But it was extremely interesting to read of this parent's addiction to his daughter and how he had to live what the parents here on SR are living.....but in a very public way.

I remember when the news came out about Amy's death. Many people were saying such cruel things such as "why didn't her family DO something" or " what kind of parents would allow their daughter to do that" or "she must have had crappy parents". Those are the kind of judgmental and misguided thought processes that often cause a good codependent parent to stay in their controlling behavior patterns. It is the though process that most parents of addicted adult children live with......when often......nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm really grateful to Mitch Winehouse for sharing his journey with his beautifully talented daughter's addiction to drugs and alcohol. He showed how very (often overly) involved parents can be with their adult addict offspring trying to get them to stop their self destructive behaviors. He shared her beauty. Her talent. Her kind heart. Her confusion. Her struggle with sobriety.

It was very interesting to read of his overwhelming codependence, his eventual acceptance, his strength, his hope......and lastly, his grief at losing this young woman, Amy-his daughter, whom he loved so very much. He shared a journey that is very familiar, in a much less public way, to many of us here on SR.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I really want to read this book... It's sad how we can all relate to her father and what he must have gone through.. Another good read is beautiful boy by David sheff.. His son was a meth addict and while hard to read his story hit home in so many ways
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I have both books on my Kindle.

I am reading Amy My Daughter, and you are right KE it is an emotional fascinating journey that her father has taken and is reporting. I too, of course, know how it ends and I am about 2/3rds through it. I finally had to put it down last night, when the 'toothpicks' would no longer hold my eyes open.

I am glad you posted this as I was going to after I finished the book.

I also have Beautiful Boy on my Kindle to read next.

I am a firm believer that I can 'learn' from others journeys as well as my own!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jerect View Post
I really want to read this book... It's sad how we can all relate to her father and what he must have gone through.. Another good read is beautiful boy by David sheff.. His son was a meth addict and while hard to read his story hit home in so many ways
Yes. I've read Beautiful Boy as well. Very interesting journey. I also have Tweaked by Nic Sheff (his son) but I have it in an audiobook and haven't listened to it yet.

I agree with Laurie. I learn so much from the journeys of others who have the courage to share their experience, strength and hope.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KE- Haven't read the book but I know how it feels to be judged. Thank heavens for SR where I can feel normal.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I haven't read any of the books mentioned but everytime a well-known person passes away, especially from difficult circumstances my heart breaks for their loved ones ~

It's heartbreaking to walk these paths but to have every moment of it exposed, broken down by the media, judged and critized ~ with no privacy, respect of grief or dignity must make them feel even more violated in losing their precious loved one ~

I still renew my prayer that one day, somehow, someway ~ we may see a day when no parent watches their precious child suffer and no child loses a parent to this awful disease

pink hugs to all ~
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I most definitely will get that book. I loved Amy's music and my heart knows the pain that her family has gone through.

Too often when an addict dies, I hear people say "Why didn't his/her family DO something, why didn't they help?" It hurts me to the bone each time I hear it and rather than let it go I tend to answer "Please don't judge something you know nothing about."

When anyone loses a child to addiction, I feel my heart hurt so much for the family and the addict who lost the battle. At that point there is no "if only" no "what if's" no "coulda, woulda, shoulda's", just guilt and excruciating pain that only time can heal.

Thank you for suggesting that book, if reading it can help me or someone else on this journey it will at least add some meaning to the insanity of losing our addicted beloved family.

Hugs