SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Dog Ownership (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/285339-dog-ownership.html)

justtired 02-23-2013 05:57 PM

Dog Ownership

Hi everyone. Haven't been on here in a while. I just got off the phone with my xabf. I moved out about 2 months ago, and I took the dogs with me because he was sleeping all the time and not taking care of himself. He has been very irrational over the last couple of months, and I am not comfortable with them going back to stay with him. He keeps saying he wants him back, and is threatening to call the cops. He is on the AKC papers, even though we adopted him together almost 8 years ago. I've been the one taking care of him for the past few years as abf is usually sleeping or just not interested. Does anyone know if complete ownership is determined by the AKC papers? Do I even have a chance at keeping him away from him? I don't want to get the law involved, but I can't stand to think of my dog (son) not being taken care of properly and being ignored. If anyone has been through this, I would appreciate any information. Thank you!

jerect 02-23-2013 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by justtired (Post 3832735)
Hi everyone. Haven't been on here in a while. I just got off the phone with my xabf. I moved out about 2 months ago, and I took the dogs with me because he was sleeping all the time and not taking care of himself. He has been very irrational over the last couple of months, and I am not comfortable with them going back to stay with him. He keeps saying he wants him back, and is threatening to call the cops. He is on the AKC papers, even though we adopted him together almost 8 years ago. I've been the one taking care of him for the past few years as abf is usually sleeping or just not interested. Does anyone know if complete ownership is determined by the AKC papers? Do I even have a chance at keeping him away from him? I don't want to get the law involved, but I can't stand to think of my dog (son) not being taken care of properly and being ignored. If anyone has been through this, I would appreciate any information. Thank you!

I went through a similar situation when I went through my divorce.. My ex was the one that actually adopted my dog from the humane society and his name was on all the paperwork but I'm the one that actually took care of her, fed her, paid her vet bills etc...

My ex threatened to steal the dog when I was at work and even told me that If I filed for divorce that he would take her.. Manipulation tactic..

His name may be on the AKC papers but whose name is on all of the vet records.. Do you have the paper work where you took him for his shots etc... If you can document everything to when you've bought his food and how much it costs and any other care you have given him then that may hold up if he tries to fight you on it..I don't know that the cops can do anything if he calls them.. And if he's a drug addict, do you really think he's going to call the cops??? Addicts generally stay clear of the police..

In my case I put in the divorce papers that I would retain custody of our pets as I had the financial means to take care of them and he didn't, he couldn't even take care of himself.. The dummy signed the papers without even reading them then got upset when he realized he signed all of his rights away to the dog and the cat...

My fur babies are much happier now that he's not around.. My dog is a lot calmer.. It's amazing how intuitive animals are

justtired 02-23-2013 06:30 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I don't have regular kids, just the furry ones, so they mean the world to me. I'm the one who did everything. Bought the food, took them to the vet, walks, baths, city registration. I'll have to look for documentation. I'm sure I didn't keep receipts for food etc., but vet records should show and the city registration. My neighbors could vouch that I was always the one who took them out. They saw me out with them every day. My XABF is addicted to prescription meds... his own prescribed meds.. so I don't think he'll be afraid to call the cops. I hate all the drama, and look forward to not having to deal with him anymore! But... I will fight for my babies.

jerect 02-23-2013 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by justtired (Post 3832780)
Thanks so much for your reply. I don't have regular kids, just the furry ones, so they mean the world to me. I'm the one who did everything. Bought the food, took them to the vet, walks, baths, city registration. I'll have to look for documentation. I'm sure I didn't keep receipts for food etc., but vet records should show and the city registration. My neighbors could vouch that I was always the one who took them out. They saw me out with them every day. My XABF is addicted to prescription meds... his own prescribed meds.. so I don't think he'll be afraid to call the cops. I hate all the drama, and look forward to not having to deal with him anymore! But... I will fight for my babies.

I don't have any kids either and my dog and my cat are my children.. My ex could have cared less about my dog.. Sure he loved her but he never walked her, fed her, paid her vet bills or even went to the vet with me.. All he did was shut himself up in his bedroom all day and ignored her.. If you can find the vet records to where you have paid for her care and the city registration, I wouldn't worry too much about it.. Anyone can buy a dog but it doesn't mean that they are a responsible owner...