Vivitrol

Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kblock0401

Vivitrol

Has anyone had any experience with a loved one taking Vivitrol for opiate abuse???
Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I have been reading a lot about it lately. I can see the pros and cons of it.

I know some say "its not real recovery" - but then again is.....death or jail??? If it gives someone back their life, their dignity, their loved ones......why the heck not???

Less then 10% recover for life (I think that is a high number) obviously addiction is just that powerful and maybe addicts just need that extra help.

JMHO.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kblock0401 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with a loved one taking Vivitrol for opiate abuse???
Hi, saw your post last night but didn’t have time to reply properly. My husband had a rapid detox procedure and at the end of it, before he was awake they gave him an injection of vivitrol (aka: naltrexone). It can only be administered after a person has completed detoxing from opiates.The injection my husband received was good for one month. He had one follow up injection while he was in rehab (non 12 step rehab). So for him… he said he had no real side effects from it, although possibly a little bit of fatigue for a day or so.

The drug is an opioid antagonist and blocks the receptors in the brain; so a person cant feel the high if they were to use. We were told that it is meant to go along with a treatment program, so the person can work on the underlying addiction issues. So like I said my husband went through intensive counseling while in rehab. He is 10+ months clean now, and doing really well. He felt that the drug reduced his cravings for opiates, especially important in the beginning of treatment. He stopped only because he was doing the inpatient rehab, and he wanted to deal with any issues that might come to light once he stopped; cravings, thoughts… wanted to have the doctors there to help him learn how to deal with it all. Sort of made me nervous… but it all worked out it seems

There were several other people in rehab at the same time as my husband who were also there for opiate abuse, and they had also taken vivitrol. My husband has kept in contact with all of them, and none have relapsed so far.

Based on our experience I would recommend giving it a try. I think it has amazing potential to help people. Vivitrol comes in various forms also; my husband did the one month injection, they also have a implant that last I think 3 months, and I have heard of people taking pills on a daily basis – but personally I would not opt for this… because I think it would be too tempting for a person knowing they could just skip it, and then go get high. My husband said that just knowing he couldn’t go out and get high.. that in itself took away a lot of the thoughts, and cravings. Ive heard other people say this also.

Also, there is not much potential for abuse of this drug as it does not create a high. There is no risk of it being prescribed and then traded for drugs on the street, etc.

Ive posted about vivitrol a few times when people here have asked; there are also people on substance abuse forum that are currently using the drug. Here are a couple of their threads:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-implant.html
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...altrexone.html

People do recover from addiction! And personally, I am for anything that makes the process easier…. Here is some info that I like to share, I think it helps explain why it is recommended that Vivitrol be used with professional treatment. Success Rates are much higher when people work a medically assisted program of recovery that is tailored to meet their individual needs.
----
It is important to note that not all persons in recovery for substance abuse relapse. Nearly one-third achieve permanent abstinence from their first attempt at recovery. An additional one-third have brief periods of substance use but eventually achieve long-term abstinence, and one-third have chronic relapses that result in premature death from chemical addiction and related consequences. These statistics are consistent with the life-long recovery rates of any chronic lifestyle-related illness (Health Human Sercices /Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Admin)

Relapse rates for drug-addicted patients are compared with those suffering from diabetes, hypertension, and asthma. Relapse is common and similar across these illnesses (as is adherence to medication). Thus, drug addiction should be treated like any other chronic illness, with relapse serving as a trigger for renewed intervention. (NIDA- National Institute Drug Abuse)

Drug addiction = 40% - 60% relapse. This also means 40% - 60% don’t.
Type I Diabetes = 30 % - 50% relapse. This means 50% - 70% don’t.
Hypertension = 50% - 70% relapse. This means 30% - 50% don’t.
Asthma = 50% - 70% relapse. This means 30% - 50% don’t.

Substance abuse treatment refers to a broad range of activities or services, including identification of the problem (and engaging the individual in treatment); brief interventions; assessment of substance abuse and related problems including histories of various types of abuse; diagnosis of the problem(s); and treatment planning, including counseling, medical services, psychiatric services, psychological services, social services and follow-up for persons with alcohol or other drug problems (Institute of Medicine)

Substance abuse treatment may be based on one of several traditional approaches:

the Medical Model which focuses on the recognition of addiction as a bio/psycho/social disease, the need for life-long abstinence, and the use of an ongoing recovery program to maintain abstinence;

the Social Model which focuses more on the need for long-term abstinence and the need for self-help recovery groups to maintain sobriety;

the Behavioral Model which focuses more on diagnosis and treatment of other problems or conditions that can interfere with recovery (HHS/SAMHSA)

Many programs use a combination of some aspects of the various models in order to facilitate the most appropriate treatment for the individual and to give patients options.

Treatment may occur in various settings, such as inpatient, hospital-based programs; short- and long-term residential programs; or outpatient programs; and may be augmented by self-help/12-step and other support groups. Treatment may also use a combination of therapies, such as pharmacological therapy to treat certain addictions (for example the use of methadone for heroin addiction or the use of antabuse to treat alcoholism); use of psychological therapy or counseling, education and social learning theories; and non-traditional healing methods such as acupuncture.

Treatment may extend over the course of weeks, months, or years, depending on the severity of the problems and the level of burden created by clients' multiple disorders such as alcoholism, other drug addiction, HIV/AIDS, mental illness (especially depression), and serious physical illnesses. The type and intensity of treatment depend on the patient's psychological, physical, and social problems; the stage (or severity) and type of addiction; personality traits; and social skills before the onset of addiction (HHS/SAMHSA)
Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

"Naltrexone (Vivitrol) is an opioid receptor antagonist. It blocks the effects of opiates on the brain, meaning that you can't get high on it. It does not necessarily reduce cravings, as methodone or buprenorphine (in Suboxone) does - the latter two drugs are opioid agonists, which work by mimicking the effects of opiates on the brain."
Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There is a lot of information out there, both pro and con, as well as conflicting statistics. It all depends on who you ask and where you ask.

While researching options is a good thing, I would recommned you solicit an opinion by a trusted medical professional.

Even better...let your loved one get professional medical opinions.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am closing this thread because I think the original poster has received some support and suggestions, and anything more than this will result in what may be medical advice.

As Cece suggested, the best way to get good answers about any medication is to consult your doctor. Individual medical histories could result in a variety of answers, and only your doctor knows it if would be good for you...or your spouse.