what is your HP?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what is your HP?

Im glad to have made new friends here, and Im curious to know what your own personal higher powers are
Old 01-31-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I choose to refer to my HP as God (or sometimes GUS = guy up stairs). I don't think of God as a specific human-like form but more as an all encompassing universe kind of thing. I use the pronoun He but it could be She I suppose......I use He out of habit......I don't think God gets hung up on pronouns. lol

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

A being that sits on the puffiest cloud in the sky, looks over me, and keeps saying
"Left, Right, Left, Right Dolly, don't give up...you can do it!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I use a sort of abstract concept of the universe, and sometimes even science. I consider myself somewhat spiritual but not religious at all.

This is how I know that the 12 steps can work for absolutely anyone; they don't require a traditional Judeo- Christian foundation, I don't have one and I am still working them with all I've got. Nobody has ever gotten upset about this, heck, nobody has ever even asked. I think people who get turned off by the HP stuff are misunderstanding the program. We're all here for the same thing, and they work if you work them in whatever way works for you.

I remember someone here once saying that they used baseball as their HP at first. That really opened my eyes to exactly how easy it is to take what you need and leave the rest. It was a pivotal post for me.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by interrupted View Post
I use a sort of abstract concept of the universe, and sometimes even science. I consider myself somewhat spiritual but not religious at all.

This is how I know that the 12 steps can work for absolutely anyone; they don't require a traditional Judeo- Christian foundation, I don't have one and I am still working them with all I've got. Nobody has ever gotten upset about this, heck, nobody has ever even asked. I think people who get turned off by the HP stuff are misunderstanding the program. We're all here for the same thing, and they work if you work them in whatever way works for you.

I remember someone here once saying that they used baseball as their HP at first. That really opened my eyes to exactly how easy it is to take what you need and leave the rest. It was a pivotal post for me.
I have an atheist friend who follows yin and yang, and a wiccan who does the same and I met both in al anon and they are awesome women!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

“Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

In short, my HP is not connected to religion at all. The Universe, in all its glory, can be found in our atomic construction. Helps me feel at peace! Good luck with your situation and all the best!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jesus Christ Reading the Bible helps me a lot.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

God, the Universe, that supernatural power that is greater then myself... I'm not a follower of organized religion but I do believe that there is something greater out there that is in control... I know it exists because when I totally turn things completely over to it, him, she, they.. Whatever it may be... Things just seem to fall into place and work out the way they are meant too.. Maybe not in the way I want them too but in the way that is for my highest good or the lesson that I need for the most growth...
Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VioletSmile View Post
Jesus Christ Reading the Bible helps me a lot.
me too!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My HP to me is God! The Alpha and Omega! The God referred to in the "good book" Bible! That's my HP! The God of my understanding! The trinity, the father, son and holy ghost!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My HP is God, but I am spiritual, not religous. I do believe in Christianity, but I also honor all other thoughts and beliefs for those who recognize we are all connected at the level of higher consciousness. Our human beings need to symbolize that connection, though there are many ways to do that. I do believe in the power of the universe and calling into being.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ten years ago, I thought of God as a lot like Kurt Vonnegut. I always believed in Him, but that vision was all I could muster.

Now, I don't know what God is "like." The more I trust Him, the bigger He gets, and the less I understand about Him. Except the important stuff--He is all Truth, and all Love. (For me.)

Also, my awe of Him has grown. I was never in awe of anything, or anyone, ever.

I guess what I'm saying is that while my understanding of God continues to evolve, He is constant. And the more I trust and obey Him, the more of Him I "see."

Hope that makes some kind of sense.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

God
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

An all-loving God. I do not see Him as a man in the sky, though. I think when the Bible says we were created in His image, it refers to our souls and not our bodies. I believe we were created as Love and that it is all there is at the very centre of our beings. This makes God neither a He or a She, but a Love so powerful and all-encompassing, that if we could get but a glimpse of it, we would know we were safe forever.

I have had glimpses of that Love, which has removed all doubt about His existence.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilovemysonjj View Post
My HP is God, but I am spiritual, not religous. I do believe in Christianity, but I also honor all other thoughts and beliefs for those who recognize we are all connected at the level of higher consciousness. Our human beings need to symbolize that connection, though there are many ways to do that. I do believe in the power of the universe and calling into being.
I struggle with the politics of it all. I understand. I like how Buddhism teaches not to worry about questions that we don't have the answers to, and how the Latter day saints teach thier young ones not to worry about finding the right person, but being the right person, and how atheists say never to neglect knowledge and logic and reason. I also LOVE how we all on this thread are focusing on the "good" because we all tend to post negative things I didn't expect it to turn out this way haha! wow. whatever the HP is... it is good! all the time
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Organized religion is politics BUT underneath every religion is the underlying TRUTH that we are not alone. That is God in my book. PS: When I pray, I pray without kneeling or speaking aloud. I do have Christian friends who pray with me and I welcome every prayer that is said for JJ with an open heart and a belief in miracles, they do exist! I also have accepted Jesus as my savior and I realize that others who have never heard of Jesus are still loved by our God. Humans are all connected to the highest power in the Universe, Love and Grace.

Hugs,
TT
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilovemysonjj View Post
Organized religion is politics BUT underneath every religion is the underlying TRUTH that we are not alone. That is God in my book. PS: When I pray, I pray without kneeling or speaking aloud. I do have Christian friends who pray with me and I welcome every prayer that is said for JJ with an open heart and a belief in miracles, they do exist! I also have accepted Jesus as my savior and I realize that others who have never heard of Jesus are still loved by our God. Humans are all connected to the highest power in the Universe, Love and Grace.

Hugs,
TT
I have reached out for prayer for both mine and the boos families to everyone. not just the Baptists where his religion comes from, but to the nazarenes in my home church, the Catholics in my extended families, and to the Mormons who come to my door. I believe that god is who he says he is in the bible and he loves all of us. and hears every single prayer, and seeks us energetically. he is everywhere and in everything. if only we choose to see him.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good Orderly Direction
Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

From this little Southern Belle it has to be
The Man Upstairs.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I used to be very active in a Buddhist group, but I don't consider myself religious. When I think of HP in terms of al-anon-style step work I think of the Beatles song "Let it Be". Whatever in life I cannot understand or control, I file mentally under "Higher Power" and try my best to let it be.