Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Hi :) I'm new, overwhelmed, confused & in love. Please help if you can.

Hi :) I'm new, overwhelmed, confused & in love. Please help if you can.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have to say that this forum has really helped me quite a bit to understand the patterns of a recovering addict to a much greater degree. But, it has helped me understand myself to a greater degree as well. I am 100% a codependent personality, unfortunately. But the first step is admitting there's a problem right?! Anyway, I do love him and we will remain friends, I'm sure. We've been in the trenches together this last month, and we definitely have developed quite a bond from that. But he's all over the place and so lost on his journey that he doesn't even realize he's on one. And what can you do with that? As far as leaving and completely cutting off contact, I won't, simply because I am pretty much the only stable force he has in his life right now, and he is doing very very well to this point. I am very disappointed though, to say that I have to cut off the "relationship" aspect of everything, even though I don't want to. But I'll go on and date other people and I'm sure he will too, but the "eternal optimist" in me would like to think that maybe someday down the line, we can come together again, and the time and circumstances will be right.