Going to Meetings

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Going to Meetings

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Going to Meetings

I am still amazed, after years of recovering, at how easily I can begin to talk myself out of attending meetings. I am also still amazed at how good I feel when I go.
—Anonymous

We don't have to stay stuck in our misery and discomfort. An immediate option is available that will help us feel better: go to a meeting, a Twelve Step support group.

Why resist what can help us feel better? Why sit in our obsession or depression when attending a meeting - even if that means an extra meeting - would help us feel better?

Too busy?
There are 168 hours in each week. Taking one or two hours a week for a meeting can maximize the potential of the remaining 166 hours. If we get into our "codependent stuff," we can easily spend a majority of our waking hours obsessing, sitting and doing nothing, lying in bed and feeling depressed, or chasing after other people's needs. Not taking those two hours for a meeting can cause us to waste the remaining hours.

Too tired?
There is nothing as invigorating as getting back on track. Going to a meeting can accomplish that.

Today, I will remember that going to meetings helps.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too resisted meetings in the beginning, it wasn't until I was emotionally exhausted and beaten that I dragged myself to a CoDA meeting. The warm welcome from people I had never met but who already "knew" my pain was amazing.

I couldn't speak for the first three meetings, I just sat and cried while they handed me tissues and hugs.

What I saw was a group of people who had been through more pain in their lives than anyone should ever know. They shared freely about how it was with them, what helped them most and how they got to the good place they were in today...even though their addicted loved ones may or may not have found help.

I saw something I wanted...an inner peace that shone like a light as they spoke...the ability to laugh at themselves and life in general...and a confident strength that led them forward each day. I didn't know how they found it, but I wanted it more than anything I have every wanted in my life...because it WAS life.

I did the work, sometimes dug in my heels but I listened to my wise sponsor and did what was suggested. I wrote and I thought and I journaled and I talked to her about so many things I had never shared with anyone. I shared with the group and found I could trust them to understand whether they agreed with me or not.

They didn't judge me, they didn't shame me or allow me to shame myself, they just listened and told me what worked for them.

They gave me my life back when there was almost nothing to salvage.

They gave me hope.

I will forever be grateful for all those who went before me and held their light until I could find mine. I owe them my life...literally.

Hugs
Old 01-29-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for this post. I read it and guess what I did? i really didn't want to and guess how I feel? yup right again
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I really don't feel like going to a meeting, that is when I know I really need to go. Make sense?