Does you addicted loved one?????

Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Does you addicted loved one?????

Does your addicted loved one have an addicted parent or grandparent??

Just curious what the statistcs are here!!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One day at a time

I have recovering addict parents, mother and father. I'm not an addict but I sure am codie.

He has recovering addict father and a very codie mother.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, My father is dead because of his. Booze, coke, heroin...

I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The thing is, I never witnessed any of it. I only met him once when I was a kid. Maybe there is an addiction gene that runs deep.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Runs in the family.... or did until everyone passed away

Dad was a HEAVY drinker and smoker and died of lung cancer.
Mom drank a little and smoked but quit then got ALS and died after a 5 year battle with that HIDEOUS disease.
Brother was a drinker and smoker and pill/cocaine addict who got a brain tumor and removed it with a .38 at age 30.
Grandpa was a drinker and smoker and died from Emphysema....and loneliness.
Grandma was a drinker and smoker and died from Emphysema about 10 years before Grandpa.

Wow....never listed that out before..........
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

My high school bf was adopted by wonderful, loving parents. They were not drinkers or smokers. He became an alcoholic. I later was told his birth mom found him and both birth parents were alcoholic/addicts. I wasn't shocked in the least.

He got sober, got his one year chip and hung himself. No one saw any signs of depression or despair! He left behind a loving wife and 2 beautiful children.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yup. 30 something years clean, and he's only 24 so he never experienced it in the home.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My xabf's parents were both alcoholics. I don't know much about his dad who left his mom when xabf was about 7 but his mom drank herself to death by the time he was 17. Intense craziness. His mom was his only present parent (Dad was in Europe but died the same year as mom) and she was very often passed out or really really drunk. Sometimes I wonder how he could not have been an addict. There are so many everyday life things he's never learned. So many things that leaves him feeling overwhelmed. I showed him how to light a fire a few weeks ago. You know without using those chemical fire logs or fire starter stuff.(A bit of kindling and if it doesn't start keep adding paper/newspaper). I couldn't stand his addict way of bitching at the wood for not burning!! He got it! He can start a fire now. I guess I got a bit carried away with my story but yeah...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by February13 View Post
I showed him how to light a fire a few weeks ago. You know without using those chemical fire logs or fire starter stuff.(A bit of kindling and if it doesn't start keep adding paper/newspaper). I couldn't stand his addict way of bitching at the wood for not burning!! He got it! He can start a fire now.

I guess I got a bit carried away with my story but yeah...
Dont be sorry, thanks for sharing that. I can picture it. oh geez.. addicts are impatient, your so right !
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband doesn't have anyone in his family that has ever had a substance abuse problem. He has a younger brother who is just finishing college, and he is fine so far. In my family there isn't anyone either. There are not even any smokers in our immediate family.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
My high school bf was adopted by wonderful, loving parents. They were not drinkers or smokers. He became an alcoholic. I later was told his birth mom found him and both birth parents were alcoholic/addicts. I wasn't shocked in the least.

He got sober, got his one year chip and hung himself. No one saw any signs of depression or despair! He left behind a loving wife and 2 beautiful children.
oh, this made me cry Im so sorry. suicide is the WORST. :ghug3
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GuideMe View Post
Yes, My father is dead because of his. Booze, coke, heroin...

I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The thing is, I never witnessed any of it. I only met him once when I was a kid. Maybe there is an addiction gene that runs deep.
sorry for your loss. :,( my mom is a codie and so is my dad and I am too to maybe its all the same???? its just my drug is people
Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My RABF's parents/grandparents were not addicts.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes H's father was a very bad alcoholic.

And my dad who was a bad alcoholic - his dad was an alcoholic. Luckily the disease seems to have skipped a generation with my sister, me and late brother.... God willing.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

No addicts on my side of the family. We don't even drink alcohol. Right now, no one smokes either. My AS dad drinks an awful lot and is addicted to gambling. So much so that he has tried to commit suicide over gambling debt.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

my AH didnt know his dad until he was 15-16 and still turned out exactly like him.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My father was an alcoholic, my brother (one of five children) is an alcoholic/addict, and my my son is an alcoholic/addict (one of 11 grandchildren). None of my other siblings or their children appear to have a problem as of now.

I believe my husband's grandmother was an alcoholic (based on family stories about "crazy grandma" - but am not sure.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Both sides of my family, father, mother, male grandparent, cousins, uncles, all alcoholics.

My one aunt on my fathers side, wasn't, yet she married one, big time drinker, his son
is my last living cousin on that side of the family, he is in stage 4 cancer of the head & neck, due to drinking and smoking..he still drinks and smokes 4 packs a day.

My exabf, his father is an alcoholic, uncles were drug addicts (dead). His sister is like me, not an addict, just hooked up with them.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I firmly believe addiction is inherited. Unfortunately.

AH has an AMom and many aunts and uncles.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by VioletSmile View Post
I firmly believe addiction is inherited. Unfortunately.

AH has an AMom and many aunts and uncles.
I do too!!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Both parents, 2 of 2 siblings and at least one uncle.