Should someone in recovery......

Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should someone in recovery......

.....ever be left alone with their prescription medication?

The answer really is more of a trust issue I believe, but at its surface, couldn't I answer that with the question: Should a recovering alcoholic be allowed a drink every now and then? My knee jerk answer to that is no.

I'm just curious if anyone else, dealing with an AS, ever faced the situation where you had to say "Honey, you might be in pain, but you can't have THAT medication"
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a recovering addict/alcoholic, and I have legitimate chronic pain issues...spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, sciatica, and also suffer from chronic migraines.

I manage most of my pain through medications like gabapentin (Neurontin), therapeutic massages at the doctor's, exercise, epidurals, etc.

Last November I got violently ill at home, and as I was running into the bathroom to get sick, I passed out, hit my head on the sink, and ended up on my side on the floor.

I had just gotten an epidural for my pain, and of course, all the good it did went out the window with that fall. I can't get epidurals any sooner than 3-4 months apart.

Yes, I was on a narcotic for a few weeks, but it was up to me to be responsible. Any time I have needed narcotics for severe pain, I print out a medication sheet where I write down every time I take it (what time, doseage). I have people I contact and am accountable to. I make sure I am working my recovery hard.

That being said, I have a 35-year-old AD who loves to hit the doctor up for lortabs and somas for her "back pain", plus she already has an ongoing script for Xanax.

I don't tell her what to do or what I think. She already knows what I think, and unsolicited advice falls on deaf ears.

She is going to do what she is going to do. She is free to practice her non-recovery without my interference.

I believe our children are not ours, but a gift from God that we are given to raise the best that we can. There comes a point where we can either let them fly, or be miserable trying to clip their wings because of our frustrations in things not going as we like or want.

Just my two cents. Sending you hugs of support.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my BF went to the Dr. in December and said the moment he walked in the door. " I am a recovering addict on the tail end of relapse. No opiates please" we didn't have anything to do with it except let him practice saying it to us by role playing a million times in the car and the night before and the day before that... he said it was hard to say, but he wanted to and needed to.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HerHubz View Post
.....ever be left alone with their prescription medication?

The answer really is more of a trust issue I believe, but at its surface, couldn't I answer that with the question: Should a recovering alcoholic be allowed a drink every now and then? My knee jerk answer to that is no.

I'm just curious if anyone else, dealing with an AS, ever faced the situation where you had to say "Honey, you might be in pain, but you can't have THAT medication"
His sobriety does not depend on you. He's owns it.

If you are uncomfortable with his drinking, take responsibility for you reaction and remove yourself from the situation. Playing warden leads to mutual resentments.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I like Freedom suffer from chronic pain issues due to advancing osteoarthritis and
degenerative disc disease in addition to be a diabetic and just last year went through
a very bad bout of kidney stones.

Yes, periodically for one reason or another one of my Doctors prescribes narcotic
pain meds. IT IS UP TO ME TO MONITOR MY USE OF THOSE DRUGS.

Like Freedom I keep a sheet for the medication, making a note of the day and time
when I take a dose.

I too get epidurals for my back but they do not totally take the pain away but do
put a pretty good blanket on it. Before the epidurals started, for years I was also
prescribed Soma, which can be HIGHLY ADDICTIVE, yet I did not have a problem
with it, because I monitored my use VERY CAREFULLY.

If and ONLY IF AN A WANTS recovery more than staying high, then the A can when
required by a physician for a LEGITIMATE reason, take a pain medication AS PRE-
SCRIBED.

Just my humble opinion.

This is NOT your problem, this is the A's problem.

Love and hugs,