Trying to understand things I've never been a part of

Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I encourage you to read more about ACOA. There is a section here with great information.

You sound very wise and healthy, however getting "stuck" is all to common. IMO, until we address and heal from our pasts, we will continue to repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Personal growth is journey. Somewhere along the way, I got "stuck." Denial and fear took over. In hindsight, I am shocked at what I accepted because I stopped growing.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
I encourage you to read more about ACOA. There is a section here with great information.
Could use some help on this one ha ha. What is ACOA?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
You sound very wise and healthy, however getting "stuck" is all to common. IMO, until we address and heal from our pasts, we will continue to repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Personal growth is journey. Somewhere along the way, I got "stuck." Denial and fear took over. In hindsight, I am shocked at what I accepted because I stopped growing.
Thank you for the kind words, taking time to read my posts and respond as you have.

I was not all that "healthy" just a few years ago. I'm more of an introvert, tend to keep to myself and for a long list of reasons, took on my problems and those of the people I cared about as though it was my responsibility to make everyone happy. If you'd have told me 5 years ago that I would see a therapist and marriage counselor, that those visits would change my life for the better, that I would be posting on this board, I'd have called you crazy lol. I didn't trust anyone and didn't "need" anyone, but it happened and my life is much better now.

I have been stuck and in hindsight, it was my own fault. I expect I will get stuck again at some point, but it won't be the same, I see things much more clearly now and even though I will overextend myself for the right person, in the right circumstance, I know how hard I worked to "fix" myself and going back down that road won't happen.

Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

ACOA, stands for Adult Children of Alcoholics/ Adult Children of Addicts, there is a forum on this site with the title Adult children of addicts/alcoholics in the stickiy section is a great article The 13 Characteristics of ACOA.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crazybabie View Post
The 13 Characteristics of ACOA.
Well, that list hit home! lol. Can't deny just how many of those points I can relate to. I'll spend some time in that section for sure.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by newtoitall View Post
Well, that list hit home! lol. Can't deny just how many of those points I can relate to. I'll spend some time in that section for sure.
Good for you! Keep working on you and all your choices will become clearer and easier in time.