A call.....

Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

KE,

You did an amazing job of deflecting the bait! I will most certainly be praying! I must say I do not know if I would of been able to stay emotionally detached?! Perhaps being in your shoes and living through what you have with son I very well could have???? But without wisdom and courage and the understanding its impossible to to detach! In my opinion anyway! Way to go lady! Your elaboration of the store and how cool it is was great!

Adventually they get it about the changes we have made to not enable. However from my experience they just back off for a while and try again later a different way, it seems like! I always have to be careful not to be cought off guard! Your strength and wisdom I admire! Keep up the good work!

Prayes for you both!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MiSoberbio View Post
Kindeyes,

Thank you for this post – it's helped me see how I continued to enable my companion while he was in treatment. The manipulation was almost precisely the same, and I often fell for it, thinking "but he needs my support -- he's doing the hard work, finally." Now, with him back in the streets, I can see how he was just trying to make me responsible for his recovery (so that he could ultimately blame me for its 'failure'), and how I joined in.
Well this is in patient rehab #3 (not to mention 2 IOP's) so I've had lots of practice and screwed up my fair share of times. The manipulation is the same--it seems that addicts work out of the same play book. But we (those who love them) can be just as predictable!

Time will reveal more.....it always does. If he gets and stays sober, I won't be able to claim any credit other than I stayed out of his way, stayed on my side of the street, and let him do what he needed to do. For many years I believed in my heart that being supportive meant DOING something.......I am learning that real support is simply BEING something. (Hmmmmm.....as I re-read that I realized that maybe that's why it's called "being supportive" rather than "doing supportive". lol)

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oh Kindeyes - (((hugs))), (((hugs))), and more (((hugs))) !!!

There is a scene in Clean & Sober where the addict in rehab (Michael Keaton) is trying to talk his counselor (Morgan Freeman) into making a not-allowed phone call. It is an amazing scene where we get a very close-up shot of the addict going through every trick in the book that worked before, but the rehab counselor is ON TOP OF IT! Just like you !!! You are up for an Academy Aware here, girl!! But best of all, your son has been given the gift of an educated mom - a gift he knows somewhere in all that crap of his is a treasure. Love bangs the door shut as well as opens (God Calling).

I pray for you and your son constantly - even when you do not ask !!

Sojourner
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this, KE. I"ve fallen in that trap a hundred times hearing the exact same words from my son. (Weird how similar the conversations are.) I always tend to go into some Pavlovian response...feeling like I have to "reward good behavior" with treats like toiletries, art supplies, new guitar strings, a trip to the barber.... and its taking me soooooooooo long to figure out how to stop doing that!! It's like a throwback to when he was 2 or 3 years old and rewarding him for successfully using the potty!!!

Must repeat to self over and over:
"I'm sorry to hear that. I know you'll figure it out."

...ad infinitum

:ghug3 Thanks for being here, KE.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There is a scene in Clean & Sober where the addict in rehab (Michael Keaton) is trying to talk his counselor (Morgan Freeman) into making a not-allowed phone call. It is an amazing scene where we get a very close-up shot of the addict going through every trick in the book that worked before, but the rehab counselor is ON TOP OF IT!
Ha! And I thought I had watched EVERY single movie on addiction......lol.....I haven't seen this one! Next in my queue......is......lol.

I pray for you and your son constantly - even when you do not ask !!
You have been walking with me for a long time.....and I hope you know how very much you have helped me along the way. I am very grateful to you, my friend.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I always tend to go into some Pavlovian response...feeling like I have to "reward good behavior" with treats like toiletries, art supplies, new guitar strings, a trip to the barber.... and its taking me soooooooooo long to figure out how to stop doing that!! It's like a throwback to when he was 2 or 3 years old and rewarding him for successfully using the potty!!!
This just made me laugh.....good thing I wasn't mid-sip or it would have been messy.

You've also walked with me for a very long time.......and made me laugh along the way. Thank you for that.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's like a throwback to when he was 2 or 3 years old and rewarding him for successfully using the potty!!!
and teaching a grown man how to stay on the potty and not crap everywhere is NO FUN!!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Dear KE, thank you for sharing. I m ramping up for the anticipation of these conversations when my son goes into rehab. I also have always run to task when my son asked for something while I thought he was trying. Now I see , manipulation knows one method. Your strength and commitment to your son taking ownership of his life is so empowering to us all!
I think I will be writing down my boundaries for JJ so he knows in writing what I am willing and not willing to live with.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

KE, you have inspired me in your responses to that phone call and the manipulations.

I have seen so much growth in you since I joined SR, and that continues to give me hope that I too will progress in my own recovery.

From one greyhound-loving mama to another, hugs!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

BTW, in Clean & Sober, the ending is a good one for the Michael Keaton role - he finds the desire to pursue and embrace recovery.....
Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oooopps View Post
and teaching a grown man how to stay on the potty and not crap everywhere is NO FUN!!
AMEN! And you made me laugh too!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilovemysonjj View Post
Dear KE, thank you for sharing. I m ramping up for the anticipation of these conversations when my son goes into rehab. I also have always run to task when my son asked for something while I thought he was trying. Now I see , manipulation knows one method. Your strength and commitment to your son taking ownership of his life is so empowering to us all!
I think I will be writing down my boundaries for JJ so he knows in writing what I am willing and not willing to live with.
Hey TT
Just know that you have the Posse of Momma's riding behind you ready to cheer you on as you gently but firmly state and protect your boundaries.
gentle hugs and much love
ke
Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
KE, you have inspired me in your responses to that phone call and the manipulations.

I have seen so much growth in you since I joined SR, and that continues to give me hope that I too will progress in my own recovery.

From one greyhound-loving mama to another, hugs!
Ahhhhh Freedom
Another one who has walked beside me, held me up, kicked me in the butt (when needed), soothed my frayed nerves and told me I was worth it.

Gotta love those greyhounds (and all of our furry children).

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
BTW, in Clean & Sober, the ending is a good one for the Michael Keaton role - he finds the desire to pursue and embrace recovery.....
You'll get a chuckle out of this. I looked up the movie and realized that I HAVE seen it before.....but my son was only around seven years old when the movie came out......and I'm sure I saw it within a year or two of it coming out (max). Anyway.....I watched it long before drug addiction with my son entered my life (and I was somehow still in denial of my XAH's addiction issues--I just thought we were incompatible-lol). I suspect I may have a different view of it today so I think I'll still watch it again.

And don't you love a happy ending........no one would want to watch an addiction movie that drags on and on and on.....rehab after rehab after rehab.....relapse after relapse after relapse.......with one codie maneuver after another ad nauseum.....true life certainly isn't as tidy as a good movie, is it?

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

KE, I have not been on here much lately and just saw this post I will send extra prayers I already pray every night for everyone here and those they love.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post and you are both in my thoughts and prayers. Just taking a break from work and reading here....when I'm short on time I usually look for your posts first as they are always extremely helpful.

Unless something else goes awry, I'll probably be writing the same post in a month or two. Maybe I'll just come back here and reply "....what she said"
Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
ave

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post

Must repeat to self over and over:

...ad infinitum
^^^ Just what I needed to hear.

Grateful for this thread today!!! I got this call about an hour ago... started with the customary "how are you, hope you're doing well", but quickly progressed to "I didn't pack enough warm clothes and I don't have anything to smoke... I suppose you won't bring me any... "

After a (not particularly firm) confirmation of that fact, he proceeded to remind me of "all the times I helped you out when you couldn't drive for 7 months" and other things... and then the "I guess it was dumb of me to think you would be there to help me now"
pure manipulation. I would be lying to say it didn't work a little, but I do know enough to know that a giving heart does not keep score! I do not owe him anything, but I do owe MYSELF the peace of mind that will come from saying NO and staying away!

THANK YOU ke for making this thread, and to you and the other posters for demonstrating a better way for me to look at and respond to the situation.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I do owe MYSELF the peace of mind that will come from saying NO and staying away
ave....yes....we owe it to ourselves to take care of us.

Keep taking care of you!

gentle hugs
ke