OT Sort of, still showing my

Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

OT Sort of, still showing my

codieness, roflmao

In '87 when I divorced my sober alcoholic husband who had changed his DOC to gambling and HP knows what else, I had 3 fur kids and it was really stressing me out. 2 malamutes and 1 wolf dog that was 75% wolf and 25% husky. Had no idea what I could do with them until I found 'suitable' housing that would allow my fur kids.

I was more stressed about that than the divorce. So I put the word out to friends in the recovery community who also put out word to their friends. A beautiful wonderful lady (not in recovery, no need to be, but had several friends in recovery) stepped forward and offered to 'foster' them for me until I could find a residence where I could have my fur kids. It ended up being a bit over 4 months. I paid for their vet bills (very few) and all their food, but could not under any circumstances afford boarding them at a kennel and especially for that amount of time.

I did Wolf Dog Rescue/Foster up until 2000 when I had to give it up for health reasons. I felt up to and started doing 'fostering' for ABMC Rescue (American Belgian Malinois Rescue, the dogs you see a lot in airports, border stations, police and sheriff departments and the military) in May of '12. I again felt up to it, and knew it would be a lot easier than having to find 'placements' in sanctuaries for wolf dogs.

OK here comes the 'Play It Forward.' On 1/2/13 I was made aware of a lady in Arizona, a Social Worker no less who works with A's and us Codies, is getting a divorce from her husband and is more stressed about her 2 fur kids than about the divorce. She has 2 Belgian Malonis that 9 years ago she drove from AZ to MI to rescue from a kill shelter. Mom, who is now 12, and daughter who is now 9, both spayed.

Well, yep here it comes, lmao Instead of her signing them over to 'Belgian Rescue' where she could never get them back, I am working with the BSD rescue to get them here to me. Once some papers are signed, they will be flown to my airport here, where I can pick them up, and they will spend their vacation time here with me and my gang, which has 2 more Belgians, like them and 1 Black Belgian (my avatar, lol). She will pay for their food and any vet bills that might be incurred. I also made sure she has my phone numbers and my email so she can contact me any time to see how her fur kids are doing.

I believe they will fit in just fine!

So, how's that for still being a Codie? roflmao

I hope this helps her even half as much as it helped me all those years ago. That this will ease a bunch of her 'stress' about her fur kids and make it a bit easier for her to concentrate on finding a suitable residence for her and her girls. She was on a time limit as her soon to be ex is in the corporate world and has been working overseas and is due back within the week and she was terrified what he would do to 'the girls' as he never even liked them. This way her fur kids are safe, and she can move to a motel for now and get the H out of that house.

It will be a 'zoo' around here for a week or so, lol until the dogs fit into their new hierarchy but it will be fun also. I already have clean crates set up for them for their 'night time' sleeping until I am sure they can be trusted loose in the house when I am sleeping. And if they are used to sleeping together, then I have the 4' x 10' long 'gate' for the kitchen so that they could sleep in the kitchen and not have the run of the rest of the house.

Now, it is just wait until the 'pilot' that does these transports can schedule a flight here to Las Cruces and then I will have a 'larger gang' than I now have, roflmao

Can you tell? I am getting excited!!! It is really hard to sit her and wait and not be able to do anything to HURRY IT ALONG, roflmao I guess sometimes it is okay to still have some of my 'codie traits' lol.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I think that's great, Laurie! I'm not sure I'd call it codie though; maybe more just helping out someone in a situation you are familiar with, since someone helped you when you needed it.

I hope it all works out and I'm sure we'd all love to see some pictures!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree it appears to me that you are paying it forward not being codie. You know how she feels, someone did this for you and now your in a position you feel you can do the same for someone else. Enjoy.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure that this exactly qualifies as Codie behavior. It sounds as though dog rescue is a passion for you. I fostered retired racing greyhounds for a long time. Now I am simply owned by two of them and no longer foster. My dogs are a passion. They teach me a lot about myself and love in a way that is so remarkably pure and perfect.

As far as helping this lady out, you are simply paying back a gift that was given to you many years ago. Codie behavior? Only if she's taking advantage of you and you are resenting the heck out of her for it.....but you're doing it anyway.....lol.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I do hope to get pics up and posted once "The Girls" have had time to settle
and fit in with "My Crew", lol

I am more concerned with my own 'expectations' lol I do not want to put a
time limit on this but for both of our sakes, I have had to. It is in writing,
and reads for a period of 6 months, unless 'owner' advises it will take longer,
and then 1 year maximum. After 1 year ABMC rescue will take over owner
ship of the dogs and proceed to find them a new permanent home.

I do believe that knowing which city she lives in and looking at the rentals
myself she should not have too hard a time finding a residence that will
allow her to have 'her girls.'

So, once I get them, pictures will be forthcoming.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had to grin when I read your post, Laurie!

I am sitting here with my 6 dogs, AD's dog (she's gone till tomorrow), and at noon I go to feed Amber's dogs and bring Sissy (greyhound mix) back to my house till she's off work at 7pm.

I think it's a wonderful way to pay it forward, and I hope the adjustment goes without a hitch.

Hugs from one dog lover to another!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a great Mommy Laurie! I think your absolute compassion and calling to love your fur babies (and all fur babies) is your strength. I also believe this would be considered a miracle to the woman you are helping.
No codiness, Lots and lots of loving humanity.
Hugs,
Teresa
Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My daughters name is Laura and she and the 2 grands are also huge animal lovers, and huge rescuers.

She has a zoo lol!!! They have a beautiful, hyper, Austrailian doggie (forget the breed) that was abused and of course they had to rescue it.

The latest rescue was Frank, an absolutely gorgeous African turtle (tortise??) that lives to be over 100yo. If the back sliding door is left slightly open he can open it to come inside!!!

She has a license and does shows for children parties, library events, schools, etc. Might be something you would like, the children love animals!

Oh, I forgot about the yellow python that was donated by a youth minister. YUCK!!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Animals can spot those who love them and will treat them well. They are so lucky to be coming to stay with you, Laurie, and you are a saint to take care of so many.

Hugs
Old 01-05-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

What a wonderful thing you are doing for this woman and her dogs. My dogs were a huge concern for me when I was considering divorce and I didnt know what to do. Want 2 more? lol
Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Paying it forward! You're awesome. Bet their mama can now sleep at night with the knowledge the fur babies are safe and in good hands.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy your time with the new members of the pack.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Helpme)))))

One of my Malonis is a Certified Therapy Dog. He is 26 1/2" at the shoulder and
weighs 73# but is so gentle, he is an Old Soul at 5 1/2 yrs old. I or my pet/house
sitter Fran take him every week, to different Nursing Homes, and once a week to
the Pediatric wards at both hospitals.

I may be retired, roflmao but some days it feels like I don't have enough hours in
the day, lol I will evaluate the girls after they arrive to see what 'jobs' I can give
them. Yes, my Belgians have jobs. It keeps them from 'thinking' of things they
could do that will get them in trouble, lmao That is all my dogs but Bosco, my other
Malonis. He was here 24 hours and decided I was his and has STUCK to me like
super glue since. That is his job, to keep 'mom' in his line of sight at all times. Yep,
even when I go to the bathroom, and now since Shania has taught them how to
turn knobs to open doors, it does no good to close the door, roflmao

My grand kids are also animal lovers and have a variety of 'pets' other than just a dog
or two. Ferrets, box turtle, chickens, guinea pigs, etc. The kids range in age from 8 to
15 (there are 4 of them) and they are all very good at taking care of the animals. Oh
and I forgot they also have Milk Goats, lol

I have ALWAYS felt more at home with my Animals than with other Humans, and I do
believe that my fur kids, not only 'pulled me back' from getting worse with the Diabetes
and other problems connected to it but have actually helped me to 'heal' a lot!

So, as soon as I hear the final plans and go pick up 'the girls' I will then try and get
some pics of them and 'my boys'. Shania is hopeless, as soon as she sees a camera, or
my cell phone, or the small video cam I have she is gone, roflmao she absolutely HATES having her picture taken.

Please give your fur kids an extra hug from me.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-05-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((LMN)))))

This is for you and others that might find themselves in the same boat. Start
searching out 'breed rescues' if your fur kid is a pure bred, and then just "Rescue
Groups" in your area. You call and ask them if they know of anyone that could
'foster' your fur kids while you find suitable housing for y'all.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=laurie6781;3755385 Yes, my Belgians have jobs. It keeps them from 'thinking' of things they
could do that will get them in trouble, lmao [/QUOTE]

Smart woman.

I guess I should find a job for my bully boy; even so, we do provide diversions and exercise. He's just so active and chews like crazy (probably "puppiness" along with some undetermined anomaly; he chewed the ball on a post off a bed frame, one of many examples).

I enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not codie at all. That is recovery in action- performing service work! God Bless You.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

((Laurie)) - I just love what you're doing, and I'm sure the "mama" and the dogs will all benefit immensely.

Some people think I'm crazy that I won't consider moving out from here until I find a place I can take my cats. Animal lovers get it

Can't wait to see pictures of the new babies!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think you are a wonderful example of a compassionate person....and the patience of a saint.

( i a very small zoo in my townhouse...Sammy must be an only dog, but he loves the 4 cats)