My Son

Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry My Son

I put a tracker on my 14 yrs old son. I had a weird feeling wen he went to a friends house. So I showed up n picked him up. He was high, pot. I Bot a drug test n we sat in the bathroom for 21\2 hrs before he finally gave in. My boys are my world. He vented said he didn't to escape from reality. That his dad doesn't love or want him which isn't true. I recently put him in counseling to help deal with his anger. But this is something entirely different. I don't know what to do.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mayham - I moved your post here.
I think you'll get more response

D
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome, mayham! This site is full of information - stickies at top of forum and many, who share their experience, strength, and hope, including other parents, who likely will soon be along to welcome and support you.

I have shared in past posts the journey with my son. I became aware of his drug use approximately six years ago when he was 15. It has been a rough journey. I have never given up but have learned over time that he needed to work his own recovery and I had to work on recovering from being codependent. Receiving support and gaining insight has been very helpful and comforting for me.

We are here for you. Take care.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I hope you find some answers here.

You've already done a very good thing. You've gotten him into counseling.

Stay calm. Allow him to feel the consequences.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mayham,

Right now, you're wrapped up in what's going on with your son, which I completely understand. My 16-year-old is a pot smoker, too, and so far, I haven't been able to stop him. I have stopped trying to control him, because it simply didn't work. Also, it was making me angry, miserable, and crazy.

Buckle up for your journey. It's a long, slow one. Counseling for him is a good first step. There is also family therapy, if your husband will agree. If he won't, I would suggest Al-Anon for you.

With counseling, your son may decide to back away from pot. If he does not, Al-Anon will help you understand that--regardless of HIS choices--you can choose to get help for yourself.

Tuck this in the back of your mind: You didn't cause it; you can't control it; and you can't cure it. Not even with love. If love cured these types of problems, few of us would be here.

There is another way. Al-Anon will show you what it is. I've only been going to meetings for a short while, and they are extremely helpful.

http://www.al-anon.org/meetings/meeting.html

I know it's scary, but there is hope. You can come out the other side of this.