OT - making a painful choice today

Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

OT - making a painful choice today

I am putting one of my beloved dogs down today.

She is very special to me because she was my mother's dog. My husband and I bought her for a Mother's Day present when my mother lived out of state.

We paid top dollar for her, got referrals from other breeders in that area, but sadly she was a poorly bread Yorkie. I have spent thousands on her. She has terrible skin allergies and even the Dermatologist was shocked at the test results. She has bad knees and already had one ACL operation, only to blow out the other knee. She also has a neurological problem that comes and goes. But when it comes, if I don't catch it fast enough and sometimes that doesn't matter, she throws her head up non stop, shakes and acts crazy - often keeping me up all night. The only way to get it under control is to sedate her for a day or two, then she snaps out of it for a while.

Lately, she has been drinking a whole bowl of water almost every hour. Of course, she has to frequently urinate and not always making it outside. I suspect she is now diabetic. I have an appt at the vets in an hour to make a final decision.

I am so heartbroken! She is the sweetest, funniest dog. She just turned 10 on Dec 24 and that is still young for a Yorke. She has had a wonderful life though and I will not prolong it for my own selfish reasons.

She will be going to heaven to be with my Mom and my oldest Yorkie, whom she loved!

Please keep me in your prayers. I will miss her terribly!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

(((((((Hugs))))))) I love my dog dearly and cannot imagine what you must be going through right now!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I,feel for you I am a fellow animal lover. Though from what you've told us I think you're making the right decision. Take comfort in knowing you gave your pet the best life possible x
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel your pain, hon! Gentle hugs to both of you.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear LMN, I send a hug your way. I had to put our amazing Golden Retriever down when he had a stroke at 16. It was the hardest thing to do, but he left this Earth with peace and grace.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aww, Lovebear! I'm so sorry to hear the news. I had to put down my heart dog in 2010 and I'm still not over it. I don't think I ever will be. It's so hard to do the right thing, but it's unfathomable to do anything different when it comes to our best friends. It is at this time in their lives when we give them the greatest gift, that of being able to let go and ease their transition over the bridge. She'll be waiting for you on the other side.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am so very sorry, I know how difficult this is. Put my old Smokey down in November, he now buried next to his brother Bandit, I have a little corner of my backyard, dedicated to them, flowers and a little angel. Gives me peace knowing that they are back there.

Sending Hugs your way....Dolly
Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It broke my heart to do the kind and loving thing for my dear Toby cat, but it is worse to let them suffer terribly.

You have my prayers for peace and lots of hugs as you go through this sad day. I will say a kitty prayer and have my Toby meet your yorkie on the other side, Toby always did love dogs more than other cats.

You are doing the right thing. It hurts terribly but it is still the kindest most loving thing we can do.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, I know how much it hurts to lose a beloved furry friend. I had to put my 17 yr. old dog down this past summer and I still miss her. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LMN, my prayers are with you. May you find the peace needed to make the decision.

Carrie

The Belle Of The Ball
Old 12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's a very tough decision to let go of our beloved furry friend. It leaves a hole in the heart. I will guess that the love and lessons that little pup brought into your life far exceeds the money you spent on him. You will be a comfort for him as be crosses the bridge. My thoughts and prayers are with you today.
Much love and very gentle hugs
me
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My thoughts are with you.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We love our fur babies.We will do whatever is
necessary to stand between them and their suffering.

That is what love is.

Peace be with you today,my friend.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((((((((lmn))))))))))
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know how difficult of a decision it is. It is an act of love and compassion. I pray that you will know the right time--I know you will. Take care and be gentle with yourself.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I made the vet appt for a time I knew my husband would be at a meeting - because deep down, he is a complete softy. Of course, he was in agreement of doing the humane thing and knew I was going. Well, he came to vet after the meeting to be supportive. It took me less then 10 mins to send him home. I appreciate him coming but watching him be upset was making me more upset and I was starting to 2nd (more like 100) guessing my decision.

My precious little girl is now in heaven with my Mom and my eldest dog. My heart is broken, I will miss her so much. I still have a 12 yr and a 6 yr old to love but my home will not be the same without her.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If I may be so bold......and I say this from a heart that has
held 2 Golden's in my adult life as they went to sleep....the
last feeling that passed through her consciousness was---

"Thank you for taking care of me when I needed you most".
Old 12-31-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hugs, LMN
Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm sorry.....I referred to her as him in my previous post LMN. You never gave us her name......

It's hard to let them go. I've had to let two of my precious dogs go in the last few years but I still have two who fill my heart with joy.....they are getting older (11 and 12 and they are big dogs--greyhounds). I don't even want to think about it......

I'm sorry your heart is hurting.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and comforting words. Her name was Lady Di (because my mother loved Princess Diana). We called her Lady Bug, Bug or Bugger. But she was the furtherest thing from a Lady though. lol

You always knew when she had a drink. It would be all over face, the floor and you could hear her drinking from across the house. She also snored so loud. She was very sweet and submissive but she was a kind of a piggy when it came to treats or bones She would run over and try to get the other dog's while snorting, lol. They learned to be quick, take it and run.

She hated fireworks with a passion. They are already going off and she would be scared, shaking, panting and going back and forth from my husband to me. We tried everything but only a doggy Valium would help.

I am at peace with my decision, no matter how sad. She had a great life, was loved by all and now she is in an even better place.