Question about N/A meetings

Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Question about N/A meetings

I have found a place near me that does N/A meetings at 10:30 on Saturday evenings. I want to go but I am scared to go alone for some reason. What exactly do they do there? Is it for addicts and family members or just family members of addicts? I hope to meet someone in the same boat as me because I want someone who understands what I'm going through. I'm not very keen on public speaking but I would be willing to share my story with a bunch of people because thats how much pain I am in. I just really want to know of these N/A meetings really help! I feel so desparate!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

NA and AA are for the addicts and/or alcoholics. Naranon or Alanon are for the family members.

It's just a support group for YOU, with others living with similar situations. You do not need to talk or share with the group. However, it's a great way to learn and cope with an addicted love one. There is much more to life then worrying about them.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hiya IV13-

*N/A Open meetings are for addicts and family

*N/A Closed meetings are for addicts only

*Nar-anon is for family of addicts

*You never have to speak if you don't wish to. Simply say, I'm so-and-so, I'm an addict, and I'd just like to listen today.

*If it's your first meeting, you might have a first step meeting, where those in the room will share their experience strength and hope about step 1- "We admitted we were powerless over "drug of choice", that our lives had become unmanageable", then at the end of the meeting you will be given an opportunity to share, only if you want.

To take away some of the FEAR FACTOR...
everybody is scared to go to their first meeting. But what most of us find out, some of the funniest and most fun times I have had have been at N/A and A/A meetings. People in recovery for the most part are a LOT of fun to be around. You will hear a lot more laughter than crying. But, you will hear some crying, eventually.

Good luck. Go with an open mind. and have fun.

Keep us posted. Let us know how it went.

Zube
Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

NA or AA is usually for addicts, Naranon and Alanon are for friends and family of addicts or alcoholics, respectively. In areas where there are no NarAnon meetings (like mine) then the AlAnon meeting often handles friends and family of both drug and alcohol addicts.

I don't like to speak in front of people much either, and I haven't found the perfect meeting for me yet, but I think the experience is more than worthwhile. It's usually just an immediate relief to be among so many people who understand. There isn't judgement, and you can bawl your eyes out the whole time and people totally get it. Give it a try.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I sat through my first alanon meeting (many people do) and cried the whole time. The people there were so caring and supportive.

One interesting thing you will notice is... who is a regular and who is fairly new. The regulars all look so calm while the new people are still looking very stressed. It showed me the program can work if you are serious about it.