Give Me a Freakin Break!!!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Give Me a Freakin Break!!!

Two or so weeks ago, my husband had dental surgery. He was prescribed pain pills, gave them to his friend, and took them responsibly. However, he later told me that just those 7 pills really messed with his mind.

Well, today he had a "sports injury" and broke his arm. It's a real beauty of a break. The bone is in two. He asked his friends not to call me because he assumed I would become anxious. His closest friend did sent me a text and then a picture of the Xray. And for a brief few minutes I did become anxious.

He has a half cast on and will need to see an orthopedic surgeon on Monday. He was prescribed percocets (his DOC) and again gave them to his friend. He is going to try and not take any unless he can not sleep or feels a real need to. My guess is that he will need to. (He has one pill available to him for the night).

I am doing my best at staying on my side of the street but of course I can't help but wonder what this will do to him.

Also, without trying to sound selfish, this is a big pain for me, lol, as he will need my help and I will get stuck doing "everything" for a while. Also, he has always done the Christmas tree, the outside lights, etc. so I guess he wont being that any time soon although it was planned for tomorrow.

Really?? A broken arm now....Give me a freakin break.

P.S. I have told his friend that works from here, that he will have to help out. lol He said to make him out a "honey do" list and he would be glad to help. I started the list already and I have added more to it. haha just kidding,
Old 12-08-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hugs to you!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One thing after another such is life. Since it has already happened maybe his HP is giving him test he needs?

Hugs LoveMeNow , aka LMN :0)
Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow. That's pretty bad. I imagine he's in a lot of pain. It sounds like you're doing your best to stay focused.

Can you enlist the help of other family members? You've a lot to juggle and it could get pretty stressful. You should take care of you, too.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

If he's taking them as "prescribed by his doctor" then I think he IS being responsible. It's not like he broke his arm on purpose...said with love in my heart.

I think I would leave this one entirely between him and his doctor. If he abuses the medication, then it becomes your business as it affects your life. Otherwise he is a man with a broken arm who is in pain and taking medication as prescribed.

As I read this it sounds pert, and I don't mean it to, but sometime we have to draw the line between what is their stuff and what it ours...I never had any trouble with that line, until I had to draw it in my own life, lol.

Hugs
Old 12-09-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I am really not this selfish. I know it was an accident and I feel bad that he is in such pain.

We are very lucky to have some good, caring friends who came by with a big delicious chicken dish. The joke was they "feel" more for me as they all know my husband can be high maintenance when sick or injured (like many men).

Many friends have called and offered him rides to meeting or ask if we need anything. I am grateful for the help and concern.

I just have to find my balance of taking care of my needs still while helping him. Already, I had to help him shower without getting the cast wet, help him dress - he can't button his clothes yet, he didn't sleep at all night, etc.

I am being a great "nurse" with a smile and loving heart but I just don't want to lose sight of ME again. I guess this is test of my own recovery!

He is very appreciative and is trying hard to be self sufficient as much as possible but the codie in my is raging down deep. oh....The feeling of being needed can be such a high.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
I will get stuck doing "everything" for a while.
It's amazing what need not be done, if you put your mind to it. Just sayin....
Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
It's amazing what need not be done, if you put your mind to it. Just sayin....
True, but I like the idea of asking for help so much better, lol.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Glad to hear that you have alot of support.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't think you're being selfish! I could see where this would be frustrating and anxiety causing. He's an addict. If he wants to abuse drugs he will--broken arm, or not. If he wants to be in recovery, he'll do that. When my RABF relapsed a couple of years ago, he had no injury. He just made up stuff to get drugs from the doctor. So, I'd see where it would be scary for you, but in reality, he could relapse any time--if he's not taking care of himself. That's my experience with RABF.

I'm glad you have good friends who are helping!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have lots of great friends in your life! Hope his arm heals quickly....and you survive without going full blown Codie.

Breathe. Take a walk. Say a prayer. And spin within thyn own hoola hoop......

gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-09-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by bluebelle View Post
I don't think you're being selfish! I could see where this would be frustrating and anxiety causing. He's an addict. If he wants to abuse drugs he will--broken arm, or not. If he wants to be in recovery, he'll do that. When my RABF relapsed a couple of years ago, he had no injury. He just made up stuff to get drugs from the doctor. So, I'd see where it would be scary for you, but in reality, he could relapse any time--if he's not taking care of himself. That's my experience with RABF.

I'm glad you have good friends who are helping!
Very true!! My anxiety about drugs has gone wayyyy down. I finally accepted I am powerless.

I have never been a jealous person (jealous of other women) - not since I was in high school anyway. I could never understand why some people allowed that emotion. It's the worst feeling ever. If someone is going to cheat, there is nothing you can do it about. So why worry about it?? Worrying will not stop it, it will just make you sick. I have finally learned to apply the same logic to drug use.

Thank you all for your support too.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

here's a tip that will work well for him in the shower. Buy a box of plastic
trash bags for Waste Baskets. They are the perfect size. Put one on hand
up to elbow put rubber band around the ends near the elbow. Bingo, no
water gets on cast and he can pretty much shower on his own.

I know from previous personal experience. He will be in a cast for quite a
while with that type of break so will probably use the box up.

I don't want to sound suspicious but when I read your initial post about this
and it was just 2 weeks ago with the dental surgery and he admitted how
the medication messed with his head, the addict side of my braid said:

"WOW he found a legitimate way to get some more medication, I wonder
what he did to get the 'sports injury.'."

That was my 'addict thinking', because I have seen A's do that and a lot
worse intentionally to get pain meds.

I hope for his sake and yours that he can get some of his NA friends to
help him with a lot of what you have to do otherwise. I do believe it
will be better for both of you, especially since you are both attempting
to work your own programs, and a constant dish of 'nursing' the A can
put a ding in one's own recovery. Can you tell BTDT? lol

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for both of you.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Thank you Laurie - We did use a garbage bag last night.

He was pitching in a NA softball game that he plays in every Saturday now. The irony is that it was his good friend, that works from our house and a great softball player who hit the ball. It was a line drive....right at him, lol, or so I like to call it. I asked him if he has any resentments and not done his step work yet. He denies it but my codie thinking says yes, lol. But we all think he should of caught it, I mean who blocks a line drive with their arm.

His other friend (another long time RA) took him to ER, took a picture from his phone of the Xray and his good friend sent it to me. Yep, it is broken in two.

I was just told he has only taken 2 pills so far and honestly I am not worrying about it. It's HIS recovery. I am more concerned about mine right now because you are so right...this could send me into a huge codie tailspin - if I let it.....but I won't!!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Well, it's broken alright. He will need surgery to put in a pin and a plate.

I think I am going need a very long vacation after he recovers.

ughhhhhhhhhhhh...give me a break....but not literally!!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

A better picture.

P.S. I am enjoying learning how to post pictures now.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

ouch!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Vale View Post
ouch!
LOL!

It's going to be one heck of an expensive softball game too.

And to think of all the times I wanted to but never did.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow. That's a crazy looking break. Makes me feel sick to my stomach just looking at it. Ouch!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by hello-kitty View Post
Wow. That's a crazy looking break. Makes me feel sick to my stomach just looking at it. Ouch!
Oh I know! He is definitely not faking it. He will have surgery on Friday.

The irony is that he was a baseball pitcher since he was 7 yrs old (even played in the minor leagues until he says he lost his passion and discipline because he started making "real" money in his career) and NEVER had any injuries.