Traumatic brain injury and post concussion syndrome.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Traumatic brain injury and post concussion syndrome.

Hey all, just a brief update. Some of you may remember my bad fall on Nov. 3 when I had gotten ill with vomiting and diarrhea for four hours. I lost consciousness walking into the bathroom (blood pressure was 60/40 due to dehydration), hit my head on the sink and hit the floor as dead weight.

Lots of neurological symptoms as of late, and I was sent directly up to the hospital this past Thursday when I saw the doctor, for a CT scan without and with contrast to look for evidence of a bleed.

No bleed as far as I know, and won't get results back till next week. I am also making an appt with my psych provider in the event he wants some meds decreased or changed.

I can't drive. My depth perception is off. Some days my feet work better than others. My sense of balance is off. I intermittently have tremors in my fingers and toes. I have slept most of the last two days; there is unrelenting fatigue most days.

I get frustrated when I form sentences in my head during a conversation but it doesn't come out right. My youngest was the first to notice that week before last.

I get bouts of nausea which I take phenergan for, which helps a little. I get more headaches than usual.

When I post here, I reread my response about 3 times to make sure it makes sense before I hit "post."

At any rate, I will still be reading here at least daily, not sure how much I will post for now. The only thing I know for sure is that it takes time for traumatic brain injury to heal. All they can do is treat the symptoms, and I need to get lots of rest and have patience as it can take up to a year.

My job is gone at the end of this month due to my client moving, and if I don't find another, maybe it's God's way of telling me to rest.

I do believe God is either everything or he is nothing but I still get moments of fear. I start to wonder what will happen if this is permanent?!

I'll continue to read the E,S, H here and know I have friends who care and have lots of prayers for me. All of you mean a great deal to me. I just may need some help staying on track with my recovery in spite of this physical setback.

Hugs to all of you! :ghug3
Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((DeVon)) - SO sorry you are going through all this, but very glad to know that you are being checked out. Lots of love, hugs and prayers coming your way.

Amy
Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

DeVon

I can only just begin to imagine how scary this has been for you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!! Please take good care!

HG
Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you get sick like that again, would you PLEASE go to the hospital right away?!! I know it's not my place to admonish you but it's the only thing that makes me feel helpful LOL

RAD finally told me she can't put it off any longer, she also needs to go back to the doctor for her tbi's. Her balance has been awful for months on end but fear has kept her from finding answers. I'm glad she finally reached out and I'm glad you didn't wait as long, are taking care of you!

No matter what, I know you're going to be OK. You're a very resilient woman and a good amount of it has to be genetic. Still, I'll pray for your full recovery and peace of mind
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had no idea this had happened, and as far as fear goes, with all you're having to manage, who wouldn't feel a bit of fear at the uncertainty of it all?

I'm thinking of that wonderful Bill W. quote--"Believe more deeply. Hold your face up to the light, even though for the moment you do not see."

You've been there for me, and--though my recovery is small compared to yours--I am here for you. Text me if you wanna jaw.

--J
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am so sorry that this is going on, but I suspect your HP knows best!

Get and keep copies of all reports the doctors give you. Sounds like you may be
going for FULL DISABILITY with SS before long, especially since you are having
trouble walking sometimes and trouble with speaking what you want to say, almost
the symptoms of a stroke.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone.

Tremors are starting up again so it's hard to type right now. I feel engulfed in love and that means a lot to me.

ISO, there were no neurological symptoms until week before last! I had no idea until those started popping up.

I know it's water under the bridge but why was there never any concern over a fracture/TBI in the ER or at my doc's next day? I was still so out of it that brain injury never entered my mind. All ER did was give me fluids and put two staples in my head where I cut it!

Lesson learned for sure.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dear Devon, just wanted to send a hug your way and prayers for your healing. Please follow the doctor's orders and take rest. Sometimes sleep is the most healing thing we can do for ourselves.
Hugs,
Teresa
Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear this Freedom. Will send you some healing hunny. Hope you get well soon.

Big hugs
Old 12-08-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

((DeVon))

D
Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Youch ((DeVon))!! TBIs are no fun but it will get better over time. I hope your doc can help you manage the symptoms. Be more careful (I'm one to talk though, aren't I? )! Definitely rest up, it can be boring and make you want to go crazy, but it really is for the best. It's hard, but worth while.

The headaches were the worst, I can empathize with you there. Hopefully some ibuprofen will help to alleviate the pain. My thinking was very jumbled and I recall the difficulty I had in formulating sentences, but that cleared up and I got back to normal after some time. The only thing that still lingers is a numbness in one of my hands but it's not a big deal, and I think it was from the surgeries and not from the actual injury itself.

It takes patience which I know you have a lot of . Feel better !
Old 12-08-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My aunt was involved in a serious accident that involved severe head trauma, and while she was certainly all mixed up for a long time, it was amazing to watch the capacity of the human brain to repair itself after trauma. Over time broken pathways are mended, like an infinitely complex starfish growing back a missing limb. We really are extraordinary. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'll be praying for you very mightily, Freedom. Take it easy, okay? It does seem like the brain takes time to heal, but it is a remarkable organ and it does heal....

(((hugs)))) !!

Sojourner
Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

So very sorry for this setback, take good care of you..and, keep us posted!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Sending healing prayers and thoughts your way. Your ESH will be missed but your rest is far more important.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Freedom for posting and keeping us updated as to your status. I know I have thought of you often since your fall and when I suffered some flu like symptoms the week of Thanksgiving I reminded myself to keep the fluids going in.

I will keep you in my thoughts.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Keeping you in my prayers DeVon. Take care of you and keep us posted.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-09-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh, (((Devon))) I just wanna give you a big old hug sweetie. I know it must be scary, but you are, as you feel, wrapped in so much love from all of us. You will surely be in my prayers for your healing to be fast and complete.
Much love,
chicory
Old 12-09-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that you are going through this but am so glad that you recognize the need to rest. Brain healing thrives on rest so be sure to keep getting plenty of it.

My clinical specialty is brain trauma and spinal cord injuries. Those post concussive injuries don't get the amount of recognition that they deserve. They are difficult to diagnose. My son suffered through one and it was really confusing for him....word finding problems, head aches, memory issues, and irritability. It passed in time though and he is none the worse for the wear now.

Sending you healing thoughts and love....
Old 12-09-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Positive thoughts and prayers being sent for you! How frustrating the symptoms and limitations must be.

It is pretty obvious how strong and capable you are, and I believe that's a plus.