How do you work the naranon steps as an atheist?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you work the naranon steps as an atheist?

Am I my own higher power?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From what I understand you can be if you want to.

Step programs, to my understanding don't dictate a diety, only that you acknowledge a higher power when you see fit.

I'm not religious. I've spent maybe 15 days in church my entire life. They were all weddings, funerals or christenings.

I have been familiar with recovery for six years due to association, and am only now indulging in it after realizing that I need help. I have not acknowledged a higher power yet, nor have I discouraged myself because steps require spirituality.

You can attain a wealth of knowledge by studying the concepts and applying them to your own life, regardless of steps.

My recovery, young as it is, is only guided by my personal morals. At this point in time it's what works for me.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The are many atheists who are able to follow the principles of a 12 step program and many people struggle with the concept of a power greater than themselves.

Cynical One gave some good examples of what she used as the power greater than herself. Others have used their home group, a child (their love of the child), a sponsor, the universe, nature, etc. It's something that you consider greater, wiser, more powerful than you. The group (Al-Anon or Nar-Anon) is what I've heard most often used as its easy to see that a group of people and their collective wisdom is greater than ours alone.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-03-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

When you see the word "God' you can substitue:

"Good Orderly Direction" until it starts to sink in.

You can use the Universe as your Higher Power, even your regular Naranon
Group will also work.

The first year of my recovery in AA I used a Harley Davidson motorcycle and
although I laugh about it today, it worked for me. By the time i was 3 years
sober and starting to attend Alanon and I had worked out to a degree exactly
what my HP was FOR ME.

I do NOT have to discuss my conception of a higher power with anyone. But for
me it has worked now for over 31+ years in AA and 28+ years in Alanon.

Welcome to recovery!

love and hugs,
Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Or, you can use a program that doesn't require belief in a higher power.

I've been sober 14 years and have found SMART Recovery to be a perfect fit.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Keep in mind the goal of the 12 Steps, ultimately, is to learn how to accept responsibility for your choices, your words, and your actions. At least in my opinion. It's about getting honest with yourself and keeping yourself in check if you feel like you're going off the rails.

My $0.02...

ZoSo
Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am not an Atheist BUT.... I have often wondered .WHO or WHAT is MY higher power and how can I expect my AD to know if I have never taught her... but as I just posted earlier..just stumbling on to this site has given me great satisfation and support so I have now made MY higher power HERE..and you can make anything or anyone that makes you feel good or do better your higher power... I'm just sayin...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I happen to be an atheist and have gone to a few NarAnon meetings. They helped in some ways but I just can't get into the 12 step program plus I left for other reasons.

That said, I thought that it just wasn't possible for me to hand something over to a higher power because I feel there isn't any. However, the way I thought about it in my mind (after much pondering) was that I DO believe there are just some problems that I, as a human being, cannot solve. Period. I can't effect world peace, I can't cure cancer, I can't stop the rain and I can't cure addiction. It is beyond me. So why bother worrying about it via a higher power? So I don't have anyone to hand it over to, so what? I never worry about a higher power any other time so why would I regarding addiction?

Addiction is just one of those things that I can't control so I give myself permission to let it go at that and to relieve myself of trying to control it or stress about it. It was just one of those humble human being moments where I had to tell myself that it is okay just to be human and I didn't have to pressure myself to carry the burden of something that was impossible for me to solve. Kind of freeing actually. Pretty much the way a higher power works for those who believe I suppose.

Kari
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We are all old enough to have heard every shrieking argument over how many
angels can fit on the head of a pin.

There are ALOT of roads out of Addictionville.
Just get ON one of them.....we can argue over the BEST way to the interstate
once we are out of that God-forsaken town (pun intended).