One day & step at a time

Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One day & step at a time

well after spending hours on here I now know I am not alone and maybe..just maybe I can get a restful sleep tonight knowing that I can get back on here after work and seek support.

The hardest part of it all has been living in denial that I am going to one day wake up from a bad dream but until then I can stop functioning. My family, friends and co-workers are all as supportive as they can be but it seems like 4ever now & think I'm ready to start taking those steps to "getting on with my life"...

I know this is just the beginning of a long journey but tonight I will go to sleep knowing at least I'm ready to begin & that it IS ok to reach out for help. I also now realize that just as my AD has been and still is in denial...I myself as the enabler/co dependant have been too...so, until I take the steps to take care of myself I cannot expect to be of any help to her...
Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hope4Bella, I am glad you decided to post and your right your not alone here at SR. we walk together through stumbles and all. I will say a prayer for you and your precious daughter.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

doesn't it feel wonderful to know there are other people out there who understand? have you tried al-anon? I really like it.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
doesn't it feel wonderful to know there are other people out there who understand? have you tried al-anon? I really like it.
I have been to an Al-Non meeting with my daughter last year before I even knew just how bad things were to get...she was clean at that time and working on her 30day chip but I felt relatively uncomfortable there..not sure why or maybe because I seemed to be the only person there who was not an addict in recovery...I listened to their stories but it just made me really sad...I didn't feel I could relate nor could anyone to me so I never went back..

Since that day things have gotten worst for my AD and it has taken me this long to realize that I DO need some real support. I see now that my idea of "rock bottom" and what the reality of that for an addict are 2 totally different places. Do they have meetings online that you know of for families?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Hope4Bella View Post
I have been to an Al-Non meeting with my daughter last year before I even knew just how bad things were to get...she was clean at that time and working on her 30day chip but I felt relatively uncomfortable there..not sure why or maybe because I seemed to be the only person there who was not an addict in recovery...I listened to their stories but it just made me really sad...I didn't feel I could relate nor could anyone to me so I never went back..

Since that day things have gotten worst for my AD and it has taken me this long to realize that I DO need some real support. I see now that my idea of "rock bottom" and what the reality of that for an addict are 2 totally different places. Do they have meetings online that you know of for families?
AA/NA is for the alcholic and/or addict. Naranon and Alanon is for the family members.

We have a Wednesday night Alanon meetin here @ 9:00pm EST. It's in the F&F Chat room.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're here. One of the most important concepts of Nar-Anon andAl-Anon is that we can't do it alone.

I did starts and stops in Al-Anon for a couple of years before I finally found my "home" in a Nar-Anon group. I rarely miss a meeting now. It is an important lifeline for me. I've met dear friends who understand as few others could. I also did a 12step study group that was very helpful. Those 12steps changed my life.

Take care of you. We'll walk with you.

gentle hugs
ke