Need Advice !!!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need Advice !!!

This is kinda of confusing , but I really need some feedback. I am doing a huge project for school about addiction. It is a huge research project with a partner and in a week we are giving our proposal. We have to put in a personal reason for doing the project. Obviously this topic is VERY personal to me. We made a plan so I wouldn't have to give my life story to a bunch of strangers ,and make it easier on me. We are interviewing people about it , including my grandma so I don't have to directly give my story but secretly for me I will know it has been said ( it will make me feel better , just for myself). However I do have to say a small part. I am typing our lines out right now and it is already making my anxious and flooding me with emotions. I can already feel my heart racing and I have only typed it. I can say it in my mind and not cry or get too emotional but I know the second I start to say it aloud ( it's only a few lines ) I will want to curl up into a ball lol. I can't just not do it because it is a huge project. I didn't know when I started it would effect me this much , I though I was over it honestly. I have only typed it and I feel so silly for getting upset about it but like I said in my post yesterday it just hits me , it's real , and every emotion from last year I can feel swimming around. I hope this makes at least a little sense to someone. Really right now I am just rambling because I don't know what to say or how I feel. I will probably feel really silly later for freaking out this much. Any response would be appreciated !
Piglet
Old 11-25-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Piglet,
From a presentation standpoint, there are a couple of things. First of all having some emotion is ok because this subject effects a lot of people, and probably some of your classmates hold onto it in silence. You don’t have to explain your situation, but if anyones asks just say in general that hearing personal stories of addiction has really made an impact on you, and your compassion/emotion for families involved in this cannot be held back.

Beyond that, I have found when I give a presentation, or am speaking to a group (and Im feeling emotional), I just try my best to remember that I am speaking to give information, I try to remove myself from a personal level and just think of the flow of the words, and the timing, etc.

I think once its over, this will have been a good experience for you Piglet. I hope in relaying your moms story, there is some release and freedom for you. Please let us know how it goes ok. Good Luck.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I shared this in your 'confusing' thread.

ou also can make your share a bit more generalized and short.

"I wanted to do this project because someone in my family suffered with
addiction but has found recovery."

No names, but because it is family somewhere it is logically you would be
interest in the subject.

Short and sweet!

Love and hugs,

ps: I think you are doing AWESOME handling those flashbacks when they come!!!
Even though you don't think so.
And yes I understand you are getting yourself worked up a bit over this, so ............
...................... I would like you to take a Big Deep Breathe. Hold it for the count
of 10 and then slowly exhale. Do that 10 more times.

The breathing exercise is great for anytime you are feeling stressed and yes, it does
help to calm your brain down so you don't keep going in circles. The nice thing is you
can use it anytime you need to.

Love and hugs,

ps: And when you are actually having to do the speaking, pick out someone in the back
of the room and talk to that person. Focus on the one person and
it won't seem like you are talking to the whole group. That is
another technique that really works well!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lol yeah I went a little crazy earlier , I warned you I would feel very silly later ! I do get very worked up , but in the moment I don't know how to feel. Thanks for the advice I can definitely try it. We are also practicing so maybe that will help too. Lol I need to learn to take a chill pill ! Thanks for replying.
Piglet
Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I took a speech class and found it was very helpful to have some visual aids (like a poster) to point at or write something on the board. That way, if you get nervous, you will feel like all eyes aren't on you because they will be looking at what you are pointing to on the poster or blackboard. It can be a numbered list of helpful tips or a list of community resources for addiction or almost anything. Just something to get people looking elsewhere. Maybe if you have pamphlets of some kind you could have them stacked on the table, pick one up, and mention what it generally is about and invite anyone to take one on their way out. Anything to be able to turn around for a second to gain composure if you feel you are losing composure. The only thing that usually backfires is to pass something around for people to look at and then the last person gives it back to you. I wouldn't do that as then you lose the audience's attention. Just something I learned in speech class, lol.

Also, you don't have to get too personal. Maybe just say someone you care about had addiction in their family and don't say anything else about it. That is a reason.

I like the tip you were given about just feel like you are giving information. I just recently talked to a police officer and someone else in the community who told me about the 'massive' problem of drug addiction just in our area. I would have never dreamed it was that pervasive. Evidently it is a BIG problem nationwide so I'm sure many of your audience members have been touched by it and you need not be embarrassed no matter what. You'll do fine.

Hugs, Kari
Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Piglet15 View Post
Lol yeah I went a little crazy earlier , I warned you I would feel very silly later ! I do get very worked up , but in the moment I don't know how to feel. Thanks for the advice I can definitely try it. We are also practicing so maybe that will help too. Lol I need to learn to take a chill pill ! Thanks for replying.
Piglet
I say this to myself sometimes and it helps me.

"I can't help how I feel right now but I can help how I think and act."

Heard it somewhere.

Hope it helps.

Kari