What's wrong with having hope?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's wrong with having hope?

I have read a few threads that have upset me because it seems as if you have someone in recovery it's not okay to count the days of how long they have been in recovery. I'm sorry but each day my son is clean and sober is another day of of hope for me. And yes I'm counting, it's over 7 months!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I actually think it's quite common. I will say that after I got about a year in recovery, my family lost count and now they can't believe it's "only" been 5+ years as my using seems further in the past

Congratulations to your son!

Oh, and I think hope is a good thing.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don’t think there is anything wrong with counting. I don’t know the exact number of days for my husband, but I know the months. Every day has importance for someone in recovery. Every day represents positive change, obstacles faced and overcome, deeper roots in recovery.

My husband has 8 months. I am very proud of him; and I have a lot of hope for his future. (Faith + Hope + Love)

Congratulations to your son. Prayers he keeps going strong.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not naive to think things couldn't turn around in a second but as long as his actions are showing he is embracing recovery I am going to be hopeful.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know how long my daughter has been in recovery but I know I stopped counting about two years ago. I don't think about hope at all any more. I don't hope for her future or any of my loved ones futures. I don't hope for my own future either. I live and love one day at a time.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope has always been a part of my life and always will be. It's just who i am and that will never change. Glass willl always be half full.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stringing together 7 months of clean days is a strong beginning. Long may it continue.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Even when things are not so good, hope is a candle that keeps my faith lit. My son has been missing, lost in his addiction, for over 8 years.

As long as I draw a breath I shall have hope. It's a candle that burns in my heart between the candles of faith and love.

Hope does not mean expectations. Hope, to me, means knowing that God loves all His children, including his addicted ones. Hope means I trust God to take care of my son, doing for him what I cannot, and maybe what he cannot do for himself.

I wear a gold pendant around my neck that reads..."Hope" "Believe" "Rejoice". That says it all for me.

I am so glad your son is clean, each day clean for any addict is a miracle but I believe in miracles and my heart believes your son can stay on this good path of recovery. Count the days, don't count the days...just don't lose today worrying about tomorrow. That's the joy of living, to embrace each day as life and love and hope.

Hugs
Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Congratulations to your son for working his recovery.

For me, knowing my husband's clean time/days was unhealthy. I probably knew more about his recovery then my own. But that was part of my unhealthiness, but not everyone's.

Today, I have no idea how long he has been clean. I can tell you the many positive changes I have seen in him though. I can also tell you when I relapse into my codependency, but I usually don't catch it until after I do it though. And that's OK for now, because I am recognizing it which is still a learning step for me.

For me, it was just more important to let my recovery be my focus and not be enmeshed in his.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When my emotional/physical wellbeing became dependent on my daughter's choices, I lost my own way.

Relearning there was hope for me, that I would survive, regardless of her outcomes, allowed me to take back some of my own power.

To tell you the truth, I cannot even tell you how long my daughter has been clean. Her days/weeks/months/years are not mine to count, anymore.