waiting on god

Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

waiting on god

So as Im reaching for wisdom from my higher power this morning my devotional were in Luke. Jesus says if someone steaks your coat, give them your shirt, someone uses you, practice servanthood. and Im thinking... There's no way God wants me to stay. but that's what I got out of this verse... so now I am more lost than before turning to my higher power today... help please?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We also need to survive to serve another as well. Doesn't mean we have to put ourselves in harm every time. We can serve from a distance so we can continue to serve. Seek him in Prayer and often our actions we find God's path for us.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Lily -

I am in a Christan Coda group and we are doing a workbook called "Untangling Relationships, The Christian perspective of Codependency. (it is awesome too). I am learning how I distorted Bible scripture in attempts to justify and continue to save, fix, rescue and control.

Obsessive love is not Godly love. How would you describe your love for your BF?? Just something to think about.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you LMN you are wise. where can I find one of these groups for me? I need it. I feel I am closer to acceptance than I have ever been... but I defy want something in addition to al anon from a much more Christian perspective ya know?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
Thank you LMN you are wise. where can I find one of these groups for me? I need it. I feel I am closer to acceptance than I have ever been... but I defy want something in addition to al anon from a much more Christian perspective ya know?
My therapist told me about this one and it was just going to start. God is awesome.

I know some people from my church who went to a different class, which was more of a teachers class. I would suggest calling some local churches and ask if they plan on doing a class on it.

I just did a particular chapter and I swear it was written just for me, lol.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
My therapist told me about this one and it was just going to start. God is awesome.

I know some people from my church who went to a different class, which was more of a teachers class. I would suggest calling some local churches and ask if they plan on doing a class on it.

I just did a particular chapter and I swear it was written just for me, lol.
You are a blessing in my life. thank you.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

When I first joined SR, a couple of posters really called me out. They knew me better then I knew myself.

I was told...God gave me the oars but I needed to row my own boat. God was not going to just come and "fix" me. He would should me the way, walk with me, but ultimately I had to take the first step. I resisted!! Working on me was too overwhelming and I would want to go back to my "comfort" zone of denial and pray that God would perform a miracle. They continued to call me out (and still do). I needed it, I hated it, I wanted it, I listened, and I ignored, until I finally surrendered to the truth.

When I finally started working on me and saw small changes, I started getting excited. I have a long way to go, I still mess up a lot but I still have my oars and will keep roaring...at my own pace.

So get your oars in the water and lets start rowing.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

so, no contact is the point in which we have had enough? They don't miraculously hit bottom when they lose us right? that's what I understand. I struggle with this idea. I tell myself I am content. I tell myself he is doing well because of how highly he is functioning. I tell myself I am doing well because I don't lose sleep nearly as much as I did. I accept it. I can't change it. I tell myself I am not being abused. although neglect I cannot deny. I don't search pockets anymore... I enjoy my life outside of him, friends family books. He does not steal from me, and spends a lot time in the word, but ugh... I just want Gods will. I want to know that I know that I know that it is gods will to walk away before I do. I know you can't make my decision for me...
Old 11-24-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I misunderstood what the bible teaches for a long time too. I thought I had to stay with my AH because God hates divorce, and I was to turn the other cheek, forgive seventy times seven times….. And there is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for another.

But I was laying down my life to help my AH live an ungodly lifestyle. By staying with my AH while he was in active addiction, I was enabling him. I was helping him to live in sin, and that is NOT God’s will, and NOT what the bible teaches.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RoseMadder View Post
I misunderstood what the bible teaches for a long time too. I thought I had to stay with my AH because God hates divorce, and I was to turn the other cheek, forgive seventy times seven times….. And there is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for another.

But I was laying down my life to help my AH live an ungodly lifestyle. By staying with my AH while he was in active addiction, I was enabling him. I was helping him to live in sin, and that is NOT God’s will, and NOT what the bible teaches.
truth. and it does say if someone sins call them out on it, if they don't listen, bring them before the church, they still don't listen, cast them out :,(