SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Question for parents of kids with ADHD (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/275295-question-parents-kids-adhd.html)

ISOHumility 11-22-2012 07:47 PM

Question for parents of kids with ADHD

Something upsetting happened tonight, and anyone with kids with ADHD, perhaps you could weigh in?

My son was at a girl's house, with parental supervision. The parents were upstairs, they were in the family room downstairs. They got caught in a petting session. The dad announced he was going to take my son home. My son was so frightened that he ran away. We got a call from a Sunoco station five minutes from the girl's home. I knew her must be frantic with worry. There were no drugs or drinking involved. He is attending meetings regularly and was great today, but did not take his meds because I wanted him to enjoy the meal.

I called the parents when we got home, told them he was safe, and put my son on the phone to clean up his side of the street. Talked to him about how he could have handled the situation differently. For a not-cool situation, it ended as okay as it could. My son was embarrassed and contrite.

What should consequences be? I do feel that he didn't mean any of this to happen. However, I cannot predict what he will do in any given situation, and that scares me. He needs friends; he needs social interaction. But what happened tonight is discouraging.

LoveMeNow 11-22-2012 08:01 PM

ISO - I think you handled it well by making him "clean up his side of the street." However, I think this situation is very typical of teen age boy with raging hormones with or without ADHD.

I remember many funny stories with my friends caught in similar situations. I would just talk to him about how he could have handled it better but then drop it. It's really not that big of a deal, IMO.

YearForMe 11-22-2012 08:04 PM

The em-bare-ass-ment of getting caught by the dad should be enough.

Sounds like a typical 16 yr. old.

Choose your battles...this one is not a biggie....

laurie6781 11-22-2012 08:10 PM

Yep. Nothing to do with ADHD. Everything to do with being 16, a boy, and
raging hormones, lol

He'll be embarrassed for a while and then it will fade and he may get caught
again. As long as that is all he is doing, like Year for Me and LMN said it is
NO BIG DEAL.

Love and hugs,

LoveMeNow 11-22-2012 08:15 PM

I have to tell you.....this has brought back so many funny memories.

Of course, I didn't think it was funny when and how I found out my daughter had sex but my sister and nieces almost died laughing.

ISOHumility 11-22-2012 08:45 PM

You guys are wonderful. Thank you. I don't think the getting caught with the girl thing is the biggie. It was the running away--he could have been hit by a car, whatever. But I guess doing stupid stuff is all par for the course.

I did play it cool, and am hoping the embarrassment will help him remember not to do this again.

LoveMeNow 11-22-2012 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ISOHumility (Post 3684508)
You guys are wonderful. Thank you. I don't think the getting caught with the girl thing is the biggie. It was the running away--he could have been hit by a car, whatever. But I guess doing stupid stuff is all par for the course.

I did play it cool, and am hoping the embarrassment will help him remember not to do this again.

lol, I hope he does but this time doesn't get caught. :lmao

Sex is much better then drugs - just make sure he is "protected."

kmangel 11-23-2012 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot (Post 3684528)
just make sure he is "protected."

Yes, time for a frank discussion with your son. It's just a matter of time before it's not just petting he is doing.

ISOHumility 11-23-2012 06:14 AM

I had that discussion, when he was 13 or 14. I also showed him photos of genital herpes on the internet, emphasizing that once you contract it, you must deal with it for life. That must have made an impression on him, because I have found condoms in his room.

Don't know if he's "gotten lucky," but he's PREPARED for getting lucky. :)

kmangel 11-23-2012 08:01 AM

One time our dog brought down in her mouth a used condom she must have found in the bathroom waste basket. Lovely.

ISOHumility 11-23-2012 08:08 AM

I should emphasize the condoms I've found were still wrapped.

And now, if you will forgive me...LOL LOL LOL! The image of your dog pracing in with that thing...

(When I lost my virginity, my mom found the used condom on the coffee table. I'd "forgotten" to dispose of it. That was a fine morning.)

LoveMeNow 11-23-2012 10:29 AM

I hope at some point you can have the same sense of humor about what happened with your son. Poor kid is probably traumatized from all the embarrassment. lol