4th and 5th step (Alanon)

Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4th and 5th step (Alanon)

So... I am pretty new to Alanon (my first meeting was on February 13!) and a little while ago I had started a step 4 but then a lady from the meeting I go to told me that I needed a sponsor to talk to to do a 4th.
I kind of looked for a sponsor, I was going to ask one lady but then saw her in what seemed to me a "things are unmanageable" state of mind and decided against it. As I hoped to connect with a sponsor I pretty much stopped working on step 4...
Now I think it is better for me to do a step 4 on my own than not do one at all, my understanding is that I can do another step 4 later and catch what I had not caught before.
What do you think?
Also, I got the name of a priest (or some kind of church man) and the name of a sister that are available for step 5. Since I don't have a sponsor I think that might be my best option in order to grow in this program though I would like to have a sponsor in the future.
Any advice on that would be appreciated.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can definitely do step 4 on your own. I tried several times and did not get through it. What's worked for me is a "step group." Several of us that started AlAnon about the same time go out for coffee together after the meeting. We each bought the Blueprint for progress workbook. Our goal was originally to do one section a week - each answering the questions on our own as best we can, and then getting together to talk about it. Sometimes we share personal insights we've learned, sometimes we talk about what the questions mean, and sometimes we just talk about what's on our minds.

I'm learning alot about myself, and when we're done, I'll be able to take my step 4 and share it with my sponsor in step 5.

Whether you do it on your own, or with others, I'd recommend the Blueprint for Progress workbook.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you tried the Step Study here?

I'm not as far as you but I'd say don't give up. Maybe someone at SR could be a temporary sponsor for you?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd love to be part of a step group.Especially one in real life but i'll look at what's on here.

I do have a copy of the blueprint for progress. I have filled a few sections already.