He relapsed - don't know what to do

Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Some women need the attention from any man, glad to hear you are not one of them!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Kyles,

Just wanted to comment on what you said about him being encouraged not to be in a relationship with anyone during that first year. There have been some really good posts on the F&F Alcoholics forum with people asking that question, and it appears that AA / NA officially do not say this. They suggest a person make no changes in their personal lives during that first year. So if you were a couple, then they would not suggest that he end that relationship unless it was strongly unhealthy for him (like you were an active addict and endangering him). However, it appears that a lot of individual people (sponsors) believe it is not good and do try to guide people into their theory of no relationships based solely on the influence they have.
I know you have nothing to do (LOL Baby Shower tomorrow) so I will give you more to read:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...eed-help.html?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
Hi Kyles,

Just wanted to comment on what you said about him being encouraged not to be in a relationship with anyone during that first year. There have been some really good posts on the F&F Alcoholics forum with people asking that question, and it appears that AA / NA officially do not say this. They suggest a person make no changes in their personal lives during that first year. So if you were a couple, then they would not suggest that he end that relationship unless it was strongly unhealthy for him (like you were an active addict and endangering him). However, it appears that a lot of individual people (sponsors) believe it is not good and do try to guide people into their theory of no relationships based solely on the influence they have.
I know you have nothing to do (LOL Baby Shower tomorrow) so I will give you more to read:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...eed-help.html?
A sponsor doesn't influence anyone about their personal life. Their focus is on recovery!

Anyway, Kyles - I am glad to know you wont be needing another man to fill the void in your life and you understand what a blessing a baby can be. Born or unborn!!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I will check that out, allforcnm, thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
A sponsor doesn't influence anyone about their personal life. Their focus is on recovery!

Anyway, Kyles - I am glad to know you wont be needing another man to fill the void in your life and you understand what a blessing a baby can be. Born or unborn!!
Speaking of sponsors, I mentioned before that my bf now has this person who is acting as a sponsor now and was maybe going to be only temporary, but now he may become his actual sponsor. He told me a lot about the person and it sounds like he could be a good match, so I hope that will be good for my bf and that he'll continue to be open about it. I know I can't influence whether or not he actual listens to the guy, but I hope it works out.

No, if I weren't with my bf, I think I'd enjoy being by myself for a while. I hope that doesn't have to happen though. Anyway, we have a hospital tour on Sunday. I'm really excited to finally meet my baby, even though I'm completely terrified at the same time. I never thought I'd feel positive about any aspect of this, but I've reached the point where I can accept that I can't change what's happened and I'm looking forward to having my baby here and caring for him/her.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

cynical one, that does make sense and I understand better now. I do know that it has been suggested (not necessarily by professionals like his counselors or anything) that he not be in a relationship right now, even though these people know that this is not a new relationship and that he's having a child with me. I know one person told him due to our ages it'd be easier to just break up with me, like it wasn't a serious relationship and wasn't worth it because we're young. Anyway, it's not like he agrees with those people so it doesn't bother me. I just found it odd that they would try to convince him of it and claim that that was the norm.