Drama Queen DeVon...lol

Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drama Queen DeVon...lol

I'm still on the mend from my illness last Thursday, the worst part being extreme fatigue. I am not happy with, but realize that being no spring chicken means it takes longer to get back to par.

Youngest daughter is on her two day on work shift, (7am-7pm), so I go take care of her three dogs at noon and again around 4:30. It's chilly and cloudy outside, so I had put on sweats after my shower, and then a heavy hoodie on top of that as i left.

Got in the car, turned the key, and...the infamous weak attempt to turn over followed by the distinctive clicking of the solenoid...more attempts in spite of knowing that was not going to improve at all.

Here comes the drama queen in my head. "Oh God, why oh why did you do this to me, on a day where I am not at my best anyway? Now I have to walk to my daughter's to care for the dogs. I am going to freeze to death! How am I going to get to work? I don't have the money for major repairs. This couldn't be worse timing. Life sucks. Why me, why me, why me," and on and on and on.

All the same thoughts over and over as I walk the whomping block and a half to my daughter's house. My mind was like a tornado with all kinds of $hit flying around.

How I managed to get my head to shut up I have no idea. I just know I was sitting on the love seat at my daughter's, playing with her dogs, and it occurred to me I needed to take some deep breaths and take it one step at a time

I checked the balance on my backup checking account. I knew this was going to be a battery replacement because that little voice inside had told me last time this happened to get a new battery and don't fart around, which of course I didn't.

I called my mechanic, explained what had happened, and asked if I could bring my car down after hours. Amber could come over after work to jump start the Nissan. Then I'll drive to the mechanics. He said no problem leaving it there for tomorrow morning.

The parking brake needs to be fixed too, and if the total cost is more than what I have in reserves, I am sure he will let me make payments.

Amber ended up showing up over her lunch hour (I had texted her earlier about the jump start this evening), we got it started and down to the mechanics. I dropped her back off at work, so now I have her truck to tend her dogs later. I'll pick her up from work at 7. If need be I can borrow her truck tomorrow while she's at work.

Wow. The sky didn't fall. My world didn't crumble. All is well in DeVon-ville!

I'm glad I don't regress like that very often!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tend to have the same reaction when things go wrong. Isn't it amazing how once we take a couple deep breaths what seemed like the end of the world 10 minutes ago is all of a sudden manageable and suddenly we have a plan? Times like these make me happy I am sober, while using it was impossible to smack myself out of the drama mode and get myself into think logically and take steps to fix this problem mode.

I'm happy you were able to figure out the next couple days Sometimes we all need a good ol "why me why me why me" moment to bring us back into reality

Hope you feel better! snuggle up on the couch and watch a good movie with hot chocolate

Maylie
Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Whew - so glad to know I'm not the only one that goes to "Ritaville" every now & then ~

It's a scary place - I have to get OUT of there as soon as possible!! lol

Glad all worked out ok & hope the rest of your day is PINKfantabulous!

PINK HUGS!
Rita
Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

No fair, doesn't count when you are only just recovering from an awful flu!

When I am sick I rightfully expect the world to stop and tend to me and me alone...not hand me stinking obstacles!

I could learn from you, Devon, because you make "drama" look so "workable".

I prefer encore performances, whiny loud name-calling of the universe
and anyone in it and lots and lots of "looks" to anyone who gets in my way.

Norma Desmond had it down pat....and anyone too young to remember who Norma Desmond is....here she is.

Maybe I need to try that "breathing" thing, sure could save myself a lot of anxiety.

Hugs
Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

OMG

I am glad I went to the bathroom before READING this thread or I certainly
would have wet my pants from laughing so hard.

I hope you are working on your book!!!! With that little example above, it
is going to be a real HOOT!!!!

Thank you so much for the laugh.!!!!

I am glad you remembered 'the deep breathing exercise' sure does have
the effect of 'slowing down our thinking to get us back into today.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,