Should I tell my friends?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I tell my friends?

I'm 20 years old, and my dad is a heroin addict. He's recovering, but he left a lot of destruction in his path. We lost the house, he lost his job, my parents are split up now, he had taken money from me and my sisters, lied to all of us, and I had to witness him going through detox, which is the worst thing I have ever heard in my life.
At times I feel like it's a lot to take on by myself because none of my friends know about this. I think I would feel guilty sharing because I still love my dad and I'm proud of him for getting help and staying clean for 5 months, but I'm just really torn and would appreciate any feedback.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You might be suprised by how many of your friends can relate to what you are going through.

Are you in a program of any kind ???
Old 11-02-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your such a strong young lady and dealing with a loved ones addiction and the wreckage of their using is unbareable at times. That's why for me a support network was crucial to my sanity! I agree with the previous post, you may be surprised to find some of your friends to be understanding and supportive. However in my experience, healing from the effects of the disease of addiction is critical to my mental, spirittual and emotional health. Unless your friends have a understanding of addiction they will be very limited on the support they can offer. Addiction is a family disease, it effects everyone and without us knowing it makes us sick, in our thinking and spirit and stunts our emotions.

I strongly encourage you to attend a alanon meeting or naranon meeting and give yourself the gift of healing as your father has! This will also help you understand his disease. You have so much life to live and if you choose to get some tools for healither living and heal from the effects of someone elses using it will be the best gift you can ever give yourself!

You wont end up like many of us here healing 40 years of stuff buried and stuffed away inside us we did not know was there! Don't let guilt, shame and embarresment dictate your choices to develop or not develop frienships that may be good for you! Take care of you and maybe find some friends that have an understanding of what you experienced!
Just a suggestion!

God bless your beautiful young soul and I pray you find the way to friendships current or new that are loving, supportive and understanding! Take care of you sweetie and yeah for your dads choice to get recovery one day at a time! Now its your turn to get recovery!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so so much for taking the time to write such a heartfelt message, it's the first time someone's ever called me strong for dealing with this. I think I'll look into going to meetings if there are any around my area, that would probably be most helpful. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!