Junkie..crystal meth...locked up

Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Junkie..crystal meth...locked up

My brother has been in jail now for almost a month. He was using a little of everything but mostly crystal meth. I haven't contacted him & don't intend to anytime soon. He is serving six months this time. How long should I wait to contact him? I only talked to him 1 time in the past six months & it was the day before his b-day. I had called him to tell him I was thinking of him & that I still love him. I told him I think about him everyday & that I pray that one day his life changes. He told me to stop trying to help him; that he is living his life the way he wants. He told me he had stopped calling me because he was tired of me trying to get him to stop.

Now that he is in jail, is there anything I should do? Is there anything I can say to him that would even help or do I need to just wait for him to come to me? What if he never wants help? I mean, do I just have to try and live my life & wait for him to say "OK, I am ready for help?"

Now that he has 1 month sobriety, I just don't know if I should push the "sobriety" issue again. The truth is, if he doesn't want help, I don't think I can continue having a relationship with him. It is too painful for me.

Sorry for the scattered thoughts...just looking for some help.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nothing you say or do, or not, is going to keep him sober or cause him to relapse. You are not that powerful. None of us are.

If he wants help, he is in a good place for it, right now. If he does not want help, he's in a good place to make new connections. In otherwords, he's going to live his life as he sees fit to do.

Doing nothing is always an option.