giving an active codie the book Codependent No More - bad idea?

Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

giving an active codie the book Codependent No More - bad idea?

Has anyone ever given the book Codependent No More to a person who didn't see that they have a problem? What was the outcome? Or is it not my place to even go there?

I haven't read the book myself yet, but I plan on buying the book for me when I visit the US in three weeks. I haven't been able to find an English copy here. After I'm done, I can either take the book home with me, or leave it behind with one of my family members who are losing themselves in my sister's problems.

But I don't know if it will go over well, because they think I'm in the wrong. Maybe I should just keep my copy and forget about it. But just looking over small excerpts on this site and other places on the internet.... my mother especially would benefit giving it a chance. Maybe just tell her I'm reading it, and I'd be willing to give it to her when I'm done?

Thoughts?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have probably given away 10 copies or more, to active codies and codies in recovery both.

It is a wonderful book, a real eye-opener, and I give the book with no expectations, they can read it or leave it on a shelf to collect dust...but my guess is when they are ready they will pick it up.

I think it's a good thing to do.

Hugs
Old 10-29-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I agree with Ann. However, do NOT give your copy, get a second copy for your
Mom.

You will find that you read this book more than once and will highlight certain
passages or phrases that you 'click' on. My book got 'so worn' from reading and
highlighting, that I had to buy myself a 'new' copy. roflmao

I too have give away several copies of the book, but I don't believe I am up
to 10 yet, lol but close. I have 3 'new' copies on my bookshelf ready to grab to
give to someone. In my case it is usually to a new person in my Alanon group
or someone who has just asked me to 'sponsor' them. However, there have
been 3 so far that I have given a copy to 'just because.'

It won't hurt to 'leave' a copy for your mom. Whether she reads it or not it will
be there for her when she is 'ready', as in 'enough is enough', to change her
present situation.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 10-29-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's a good idea, as long as you give it with no expectations (as Ann said). I know that for me, if I had been given the book, years ago I probably would have been a little miffed. However, I also love to read and would have eventually picked it up and realized....'holy crap....this is me'.
You could always say that you found it helpful and that maybe they might too. That way you aren't telling them that they have a problem or that they need the book, just a take it or leave it kind of view.
Keep a copy for yourself, I've read mine twice in the past seven weeks that I've had it.