I am an ACOA and Codependent

Old 10-14-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am an ACOA and Codependent

Just want to put it out there so I can go somewhere from here. I really miss my counselor and meetings right now being so far from home. I wonder if I was ready to come back to work in a 3rd world country yet. God- I just miss human contact from the people I love. I am far too affectionate of a person to go without a hug at the end of the day. Yes, I love what I do and where I am however I wonder why I am here where I so easily isolate.

When I read a list about codependency or ACOA traits, I cringe and check yes to almost everything on the list. It shows up in every day life with or without my ex around. It shows up when I isolate myself and it shows up when I am in vulnerable situations with people. Today it showed up all day while I was trying to figure out my next step and just got paralyzed all day. I realize that for many years I have disappeared from life. I am not sure what I am afraid of or if I just have to accept that I am not good at fitting into society.

I feel for me it comes back to self-esteem and self-worth. I sometimes feel like I allow others to dictate terms for me. In matters of work, relationships, etc. Instead of standing up for myself, I bottle things and then get depressed. I know when I am being taken advantage of and when people think they can walk all over me. It has made me realize that I have cared too much what others think about me as a way to seek approval or to be liked. This way of being is not working anymore. I want to learn to be more true to myself- the authentic self.

I have moved so many times in the last several years and find that now it is all catching up with me. That I don't want to put down roots anywhere on my own. So I justify by being out on the road living out of a backpack and working overseas. While, it appears to be a dream life. It is a lonely life. This is the time in life I thought I would be sharing a life with people I love and maybe a family. So now instead of holding on to what I thought I should be doing, I have come to accept that all of my decisions in life have led me right here right now. That is a hard pill to swallow.

I want to light a fire underneath me again to pursue my vision and enjoy life, not only serious matters in life like my work and what I have to get done. At the end of the day- I am on my own. I love my higher power but really is it just me and my HP for the rest of my earthly existence because I am doing a damn good job of being alone to the point where I think I might repel people and/or avoid people. In a way I think I put out a very unavailable vibe. Maybe that is it- maybe right now I am unavailable. Or maybe the freedom is something I do not know what to do with yet. Any suggestions? Any thoughts?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am sorry these are troubling times for you. Even though life leads us down a certain path of career or geography, it doesn't mean we need to stay there if we are no longer happy. The question becomes..."Will I be happy anywhere else?".

When I move, I take my troubles with me. Until I address the issues deep down inside, where I am won't matter because it is "how" I am that is wrong.

Maybe make time each day to do some soul searching. Plan what your dreams would be if you could change your life and then make a plan to make your dreams come true. It can happen when you set your mind to doing what you need to do.

I wish you inner peace and happiness soon.

Hugs
Old 10-14-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your kind words Ann! I feel I have made so much progress and wonder what this state is all about. Is it another step in the process? It must be. I just realized that "he" was not the problem. We just made a perfect dysfunctional pair. And by letting go of him I let go of drama and realized a lot of time has gone by dedicated to that drama.

Now I have turned my focus inward. I think you are right. This is not about where I am living and actually being here is what gets me in touch more with my true self. I still have to face what is inside. I just felt so transformed and then in the last couple of weeks have felt mild and worsening anxiety and depression. I thought maybe it is just homesickness or loneliness or both. I feel I have some decisions to make. And something deep inside is shaking. Like a lion that wants to be let out of a cage. Does that make sense?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Hi BlackandBlue - have you tried EFT (tapping) with Brad Yates. You can find them on youtube. I have to do at least 2 (15 mins) to feel better but then I really do.

Sometimes, I forget how much better it makes me feel and forget to take 15 mins for me. ughhhh

P.S. I talked to my therapist about tapping and she definitely believes in it. Hope you give it a try!!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you LoveMeNot! I am familiar with EFT tapping and that is a great suggestion.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by blackandblue View Post
Thank you LoveMeNot! I am familiar with EFT tapping and that is a great suggestion.
Isn't it odd how we forget what makes us feel better but easily remember what makes us so miserable?

Keep me updated, ok?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Will you counselor do phone sessions or skype.

I skype with my counselor when I can't make it to her office.

It's really awesome.

Self work is so painful, my guess is it's leading you to your joy.

So glad you posted. love to you and a hug, Katie xo
Old 10-14-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Will keep you posted. I am just getting ready for bed and already feel better. After I did some tapping I became pretty sleepy. Much appreciation and good luck with your new job possibility. Exciting! Blessings...BnB
Old 10-14-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Sweet dreams and thank you too!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I asked her about phone or Skype sessions before I left 3 months ago and have not had a response yet. Maybe it's time to try again. I have been working with another gestalt psychologist for a couple of sessions via Skype and wow that stirs up a lot. I am not even sure what the pain is about. My psych tells me it's as if I have the persona of a grieving child. Whether true or not, I really fought tears on this one. A lot has been coming up for me about childhood lately- memories I had forgotten. I feel there is something I am supposed to be paying attention to. Also, I do yoga 5-6x per week now pretty intensely as well as regular meditation. Since it has become more routine I think both of these practices might be unlocking some old stuff. I think I am just so excited to share life with people and I am learning how to do it in a new way. I am overly dedicated to not repeating old patterns so much that I think I am isolating or withdrawing as a defense mechanism to not get close to the wrong people again. Maybe I am doing exactly what I need to be doing and just need to make peace with that I am right where I need to be.

Also, yes LoveMeNot- it is easy to remember what makes us miserable which should lead me back to what makes me happy- music and writing- which I should have plenty of creative inspiration from these experiences. Yet- something is a little numb- the hole he made when I invested too much of my identity in someone else.

Think I just had an epiphany! Gratitude...