SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/270859-yesterday-today-tomorrow.html)

Ann 10-12-2012 05:24 AM

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

I posted this on another thread this morning but thought I would bring it here. It is an old favourite from my "recovery treasures" and something I should read more often than I do.

It's a great reminder to live in "today". I've been told often here, that when we live in regret of yesterday or fear of tomorrow, we lose all the joy of today.

Please take a moment to read this, and let it sink into your heart.

Then enjoy today, find joy and peace and hope in every waking hour and rest tonight knowing you lived today well, as life is meant to be lived.

Hugs

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

There are two days in every week
about which we should not worry,
Two days which should be kept free
from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is "Yesterday"
with its mistakes and cares,
its faults and blunders,
its aches and pains.
Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.
All the money in the world cannot bring back Yesterday.
We cannot undo a single act we performed;
we cannot erase a single word we said.
Yesterday is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is "Tomorrow"
with its possible adversities, its burdens,
its large promise and poor performance.
Tomorrow is also beyond our immediate control.
Tomorrow's sun will rise, either in splendor or
behind a mask of clouds, but it will rise.
Until it does, we have no stake in Tomorrow,
for it is yet unborn.

This leaves only one day, "Today",
and anyone can fight the battles of just one day.
It is only when you and I add the burden of those awful eternities, Yesterday, and Tomorrow, that we break down.
It is not the experience of Today that drives people mad,
it is the remorse or bitterness for something
which happened Yesterday and the dread of what
Tomorrow may bring.
Let us, therefore, live but one day at a time.

Ilovemysonjj 10-12-2012 11:30 AM

Thank you Ann, this is PERFECT for me today :)

bluebelle 10-12-2012 11:56 AM

Thank you! I started doing this late last night--obsessing about tomorrow and what if. I had to make my mind stop!

crazybabie 10-12-2012 12:51 PM

Thanks what a great reminder

Ann 10-12-2012 03:36 PM

...anyone can fight the battles of just one day.
It is only when you and I add the burden of those awful eternities, Yesterday, and Tomorrow, that we break down.

It is not the experience of Today that drives people mad,
it is the remorse or bitterness for something
which happened Yesterday and the dread of what
Tomorrow may bring.
Let us, therefore, live but one day at a time.
Glad you enjoyed it. I wish I had this last part on a sign on my wall. It is so true and so simple, yet I manage to forget from time to time.

washbe2 10-12-2012 06:10 PM

Beautiful message. Thanks, Ann!

supportforme 10-14-2012 08:32 AM

My higher power brought me here today to give me the strength I need. The saddness of what could have been, the sorrow of what has been lost and the fear of what my future brings is overwhelming. I will stay right where I am, Today and enjoy. Thanks.

Ann 10-14-2012 11:35 AM

(((supportforme))) Hugs and prayers because I know what it's like to live in fear.

It was when I finally gave up my fear for faith that my world became a better place. Today I hang on to that faith as if my life depended on it...because it does.

supportforme 10-14-2012 04:03 PM

Thank you. It's truly amazing how things happen sometimes - I just finished reviewing my son's religion with him and we were just discussing the definition of Faith - our trust and belief in God and his power.