What I now can see.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rsk

What I now can see.

I am very new to recovery but I just wanted to share the things that I have now come to accept. Even though it may not be hard for others to grasp, I have come a long way from what I use to think/believe/know. I just wanted to share because it is true that with education,support,meetings,and time...the light begins to shine back in your mind and heart.

-No one has the right to hurt me,bring me down, or hold me hostage.
Manipulation is not acceptable.
-I have absolutely no control over an addict.
-I have let my profession interfere in my personal life.
-No matter how beautiful,charming,promising,and believable an addict not in recovery may be...bottom line is they still are an addict that may or may not chose recovery- for themselves.
-An addict consists of many emotions and behaviors that may never be understood.
-Being there to support someone doesn't make you a bad person.Repeatedly having to be the supporter is a red flag to watch for.
-Addicts are not the only ones that need love and support.
- It is ok to not wanna ride the roller coaster anymore.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not John

It is very inspiring and helpful for you to share this. I'm really trying to truly accept these for sure:

-I have absolutely no control over an addict.

-No matter how beautiful,charming,promising,and believable an addict not in recovery may be...bottom line is they still are an addict that may or may not chose recovery- for themselves.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You may be new to recovery, but you are a fast learner because these very lessons took me much longer to grasp.

Stick around, the newcomers can learn from you too.

Hugs
Old 10-09-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Great post,thank you, it is amazing how different everything looks when one removes their rose colored glasses.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rsk

Thank you ladies.

I just post because I want to let others know that I have been struggling with a bad cycle- within my own mind and the struggle does lesson with time.

I use to think- Drugs addicts are to be feared and avoided at all costs.

I then fell in love with one- Drug addicts are not all bad and my addict will change because he does love me and does want a future. I need to be stronger and support the person that I love.
Then- I saw how much heartache the addict brings but still I had the "hope" because I am "strong enough to endure this.
Then- Reality hits, no I can no longer take the pain. It is too overwhelming and it is no longer ok.
Then- I began to ask myself, what are you going to do to fix what is now broken within yourself.

I have been stubborn and not in reality for a long time. Love may not cure the addict but it will cure myself.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Love may not cure the addict but it will cure myself.

Great post!!