Where do I go from here?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where do I go from here?

I have been with my boyfriend for a little over 3 years. He is addicted to crack cocaine and pills. He and his mom came to a conclusion that he should go to NA meetings everyday of the week for 90 days or whenever he can. I was happy to hear about it but im wondering where do I fit in while this is going on. He has just started going every night to the meetings but I just kind of feel lost. I know he needs to focus on himself and his recovery but I feel like im also one that needs the help as well. I know there is Al-anon and Nar-anon, and I would like to go to one of those meetings soon. I just dont know if its the best time for me to stick around for my boyfriend anymore. Recovery needs to be his #1 priority and I dont know how to support him. I have stuck around thru so much with him and I dont know what to do from here.

Any advice on what I should do with our relationship as he is just starting out in these NA meetings? Is it best for us to take some time apart and focus on ourselves or is it okay to stick around and be in the relationship? I find him having less time for me which is okay because I am starting nursing school so I need to study, but I kind of feel like im put on the backburner for him and maybe its not worth it to hang around anymore.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you read around here you will see that it is recommended that recovering addicts concentrate solely on their recovery--up to a year. It would be helpful if you concentrated on yourself now, too. Discover any areas where you enabled your boyfriend so that you don't do likewise in any future relationship.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Now might be a good time to just move on, you have nursing school and a bright future ahead of you.

Take a read around, recovery from crack cocaine use can be a long process and there are no guarantees that recovery will last forever. Some do, as attested by many double winners right here, but sadly, many don't. Sometimes it takes years and years for recovery to become a way of life. And it will always take part of his life, even if he stays the course.

You need to decide what your dreams for your future are, and then work hard to live those dreams, because life is long and life should be good and it can be when we take good care of ourselves.

Hugs
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Does addiction excuse lying, stealing and being unreliable?