Question from daughter of addictive dad

Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question from daughter of addictive dad

I'm 20, and I've kind of always known my dad has had a drug addiction, since I was about 14. When my entire family found out he was addicted to heroin, he recovered, and has been clean for almost 3 months now.

Now all I can do is think about what's happened. For years he had been borrowing money from me, saying it was for bills because money was tight. Even though in the back of my mind I knew it wasn't ALL going to bills, I still gave it to him, and never told my mom. I'm trying to cope with the fact that I was an enabler.

I was just wondering if there were any other good websites that provide
a) more information on heroin addiction from the family POV
b) more information on being an enabler- how to cope with that feeling of knowing you supported the addiction
c) any good youtube videos/documentaries on heroin or even just drug addictions?

I would really like to gain an understanding of addictions and dealing with it in the family.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome to SR. I'm not sure what you are looking for but you have found a good place here.

Sweetie, if you take a read around you will see that most of us got caught up in enabling when we tried to save our loved ones. In your case, you did not know he was addicted to drugs so your intention was honorable and helpful and if it enabled at all, it was because you were duped by a trusted loved one.

Forgive yourself, dear, you dad's addiction and recovery is his responsibility.

I hope you take a good read around, especially the sticky posts at the top of this forum. There is a lot of helpful information there that may help you in days to come.

Hugs
Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Codependent No More by Melody Beattie is a terrific book. You can pick up a copy at your local library or used at Amazon.