Addictive Thinking: understanding Self Deception

Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addictive Thinking: understanding Self Deception

I just finished this book by Abraham J. Twerski, MD. Excellent book so I thought I'd throw it out there for others who are interested in reading it. In the book Twerski explains the twisted thinking of the addict but also of the codependent. He explains why it is so difficult for an addict to quit because of their thinking process and why it's so difficult for a codependent to stop helping (enabling) the addict because of their thought process.

In the book, Twerski points out that self deception is the basis of addiction (and codependence) and until a person takes action to change their own delusional thinking, addiction (and codependence) will continue. This is basically what the 12 steps do. They help us change our thought process......

I could certainly relate to much of what he wrote about.

Just thought I'd share another book that I found helpful.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 09-12-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This sounds like a great book. Thanks for sharing KE!

I definitely want to permanently break my co-dependant tendacies and not have a repeat in the future so this looks like a good one to pick up.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That is what the 12 Steps taught me, by first changing my focus from my son to myself and even then to looking deep inside my soul where I had stuffed most emotions for far too long.

There is an old saying, I forget the exact words or who said it, but it is basically "We are what we think" or "We are as we think". It means that our thinking will lead us to actions and the actions will define who or what we are.

If we think negativity and fear, we will live in the darkness both those things bring. If we think positive and replace the fear with faith, our days become brighter and we "feel" healthier. It worked for me.

Sometimes changing our attitude changes our perception and that can make all the difference.

I am going to get that book, KindEyes, I deceived myself for years and now I would be interested in reading about how I got to that place and how I got out again.

Thanks for sharing it here.

Hugs
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just ordered it now...thanks for the tip

I certainly have some seriously twisted thinking. I need this to stop. My life will always be unhappy and stressful if I keep this up
I've done the steps but need something else to help me let this sink in
Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just bought it from Amazon. The free sample was great. I am reading it now.