SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   what to expect from outpatient rehab? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/267553-what-expect-outpatient-rehab.html)

broken77 09-07-2012 09:26 PM

what to expect from outpatient rehab?

AH went to his 1st appt today at a recovery center, after admitting his 8+ yr addiction to pain killers. I'm not so sure he went to the right place. They seemed more geared up towards alcohlics. Although, their website also says substance abuse. He said the counselor didn't ask a lot of questions that he thought they'd ask but he volunteered the info. He volunteered that he was spending $1,500 a month and said the woman almost fell out of her chair. He got a drug test, spoke to the counselor awhile and she suggested 3 group meeting a week. He asked how long he'd need to go and she joked "forever" but then said since he was going on his own accord maybe a month or 2 would suffice. Does that sound right? Maybe she she said a couple months might work and AH just told me that's all he needs?? Doesn't sound like they know what they are talking about or maybe he isn't being totally honest. For those who had loved ones go to outpatient, what was the process like and for how long. He thinks they will drug test him each time he goes but isn't certain.

suki44883 09-07-2012 09:39 PM

I did the IOP (Intensive Outpatient Program) three days a week for six weeks. I was there for alcohol, but there were others there for various other reasons. I wasn't tested every day, but randomly. We never knew which day we would be required to pee in that cup.

I learned a lot while there, mostly coping skills for when the craving would hit and how to make changes in my life so that I wasn't just not drinking, but learning how to live life sober. I enjoyed it. At the end of the six weeks, we were each evaluated and there were a few who were recommended to stay a bit longer, but it wasn't mandatory. I say give it a chance. It certainly can't hurt. Just like anything else, he will get out of it whatever he is willing to put into it.

Taking5 09-07-2012 11:41 PM

I think forever is the right answer, regardless of your DOC. Anything less than forever could easily give the alcoholicaddict the idea that they will be "cured" in that time frame, which is dangerous IMO.

suki44883 09-08-2012 06:01 AM

No treatment or recovery program is a guarantee. The addict has to WANT recovery and has to be willing to do the work necessary to attain and keep it. Otherwise, it is just a huge waste of time and money.

outtolunch 09-08-2012 07:30 AM

" what to expect from outpatient rehab?"

I would expect nothing out of someone else's program because it's not about me.

GardenMama 09-08-2012 11:23 AM

Thank you, again, OuttoLunch, for your laser-like comments. Sometimes they sting a little, but mostly you see the heart of the matter clearly and poignantly. I was wondering about my own (R)AD's outpatient success just today, and this little one-liner helped keep my own recovery on track.

broken77 09-08-2012 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by outtolunch (Post 3568690)
" what to expect from outpatient rehab?"

I would expect nothing out of someone else's program because it's not about me.

I was only asking the process of it all and people's experiences with it. And yes it is about me and my children!

Titanic 09-08-2012 04:07 PM

I knew what you were asking, but because of all the fog this disease throws at us, outtolunch was just making sure! :)

oneday66 09-08-2012 08:01 PM

My husband did IOP for 3 months... it was graduated in that at first it was daily, then 5 nights a week, then 3 nights a week etc... in addition he went to 6 AA meetings a week and had a sponsor.
I second the comments that it is what you make it... or u get out what u put in.. The good/bad thing about IOP - depending on how u look at it - is you have to come home every night and have the discipline to manage that freedom.... its hard... the good thing is they have to learn to manage their addiction in their homes and communities... so it depends. i personally could never live with an addict in early recovery... i would make him live in a sober living house. my husband was given all the tools to stay sober but he started to revert to old behaviors and relapsed. i believe this would have happened whatever rehab we sent him to. IOP saved me $30k over inpatient.

That said.. dont worry if its the right place.. lots of people get sober just from AA.

outtolunch 09-09-2012 07:58 PM

Having read serious thousands of posts on most of the SR forums, I was and remain struck by how the majority of those who have long term recovery under their belts did not spend time in rehab or IOP programs. Many found recovery in the AA and to a lesser degree NA meeting rooms. Some relied on private counseling and others on secular recovery programs.

And some seem to have gotten what they needed right here, in the SR forums.

The best prediction of success is the motivation of the patient to learn how to change their lives and apply the lessons they learned to cope with life as it is, instead of how they think it should be.

Titanic 09-09-2012 08:14 PM

I wish it didn't have to be that way, outtolunch! LOL