Beyond Codependency

Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beyond Codependency

I was reading this page and thought I'd share. I felt that it was very powerful and useful!

Page 135 in the book Beyond Codependency by Melody Beattie

Throughout the day, I force-feed positive thoughts into my mind. When I feel ashamed, I tell myself it's okay to be who I am. When I have a feeling, I tell myself it's okay to feel. When I worry about money, I focus on this thought: My God shall supply all my needs according to His riches in glory.

I focus on a positive thought whenever a negative, fear-producing thought strikes. I also focus on positive thoughts during those odd moments when I would otherwise be concentrating on negative messages. If I feel panicky or desperate, I ply my mind with positive thoughts. I promise myself I'm safe.

I regularly write down goals. I write down what I believe I deserve. I spend an hour a week listening to meditation tapes. I spend a few minutes a week visualizing the good I want to happen. I see what it will look and feel like when it happens. I go in for a therapeutic message regularly, and work on affirmations during that time. And I will gratitude for almost everything.

This is my regular routine. In times of stress, I intensify efforts. If this sounds like overkill it isn't. Overkill is all the years I spent focusing on negative, destructive messages.

To discover what you need to work on spend a day or two listening to your thoughts. Listen to what you say. Listen to the problems and negative qualities you empower in yourself and others. Look in the mirror and notice what you think and say. Sit down and pay bills and listen to your thoughts then. Go to your job and listen to what you think about your work, abilities, and career prospects. Hold your special person in your arms and listen to your thoughts. Listen to how you react to your problems. Listen to what you say to and about your children. What are you giving power to? What are you creating space for? Are you feeding what you want to grow? Change what's needed and make it good. Declare all-out war on your destructive thought patterns.

Many of us have spent years nearly negating ourselves out of existence. Now we're learning to love ourselves into a life of our own.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very powerful and a welcome message this evening.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, amazing words to reflect on.
Hugs
Teresa