Newbie needs help learning

Old 09-05-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie needs help learning

Although I have been dealing with my AD for a long time now, this is the first time for me to reach out. Someone, please tell me where to go, what to read, etc. to accept addiction as a disease...I still look at it as a choice.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome to SR, I'm glad you joined us.

A book that has helped many of us is called "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. You will be surprised how well it describes our situations and the help it offers to change.

Also, maybe take a read on the Sticky threads at the top of this forum, there is lots of good reading and information there.

You are among friends here who understand because we all have a loved one who has or still is suffering with addiction.

Hugs
Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HBO did a great series that is still online. I learned so much ...

Here's the link to the part about "understanding addiction"
Old 09-05-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome! Please read as much as you can on this site to better understand. There is probably 300 years of collective wisdom dealing with an addicted adult child as well as 1000 years or more of collective wisdom of people who have a loved one (husband, wife, sister, brother) on this site.
I came here in desperation when my son was just getting out of jail last year and found out that (gasp!) I am codependent! What a realization as to why my relationship with my AS was so out of control and that nothing I was doing was fixing the problem or helping him stop using heroin.

We are all here for you and I hope you find peace and freedom in learning about the addiction. Here is one of the first gems I ever read here:
1. You did not cause it.
2. You cannot cure it.
3. You cannot control it.

You are not alone
Hugs,
Teresa
Old 09-05-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((hrtbroken))) - Welcome to SR, though I'm sorry for what has brought you here. When I first got here (after about 2 years of lurking), I kept reading and reading. Found out I'm not alone in loving an A (addict). I'm also a recovering addict (RA), so have been on both sides of the addiction fence.

SR has been a HUGE part of both my recoveries - the drugs and codependency.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-05-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So sorry you are in this position. It is not an easy journey to be the mom of an addict. This site will be informative and caring for you. I must reread often the stickies and posts here. It will not fix our problems, but it's helpful to know there are others who understand what you are going through. Keep coming back. I care.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. You are in a good place to learn from a lot of experienced mamas. I'm pretty early in my recovery, but I learned a lot from the book, "How Al-Anon Works"

((hugs))

Keep coming back and reading here.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Welcome, I would suggest that you read all the stickeys at the top of this and all the Family & Friends Forums, lots of great information at your fingertips.

Also check out Cynical Ones blogs and posts, a treasure tove of knowledge.

Keep posting, it will help.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the great advice and caring replies! I have decided this will become one of my daily places to visit.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ann, actually I have read "Codependent No More"... that book is like an old friend to me. It is dog-eared, highlighted, written in, but I love it. You know, I never thought of myself as co-dependent in this situation. Guess I am very naive...
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dollydo, I am not sure where to find the stickeys...can you help? Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When you come to this forum at the very top are the stickies I hope that helps.

Welcome to SR. I can remember I read Codependent No More quite a few times before it hit me that I am codependent guess I lived in denial ...
Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hrtbroken: A warm welcome and it's good to hear you'll be sticking around. Others have great suggestions.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dr. Drew Pinksy, addictionologist, authored a book titled "Cracked: Life on the Edge in a Rehab Clinic." Pages 53-63 give a very good description of the physical and mental disease of addiction. He is addressing a group of addicts, to help them understand what has happened to them. Your library can get a copy for you.

He also contributed to a book titled "When Painkillers Become Dangerous", if that should apply to your daughter's drug of choice. It is very informative.

And for insight into addict thinking and the life, I admire the drug memoir by Steve Hamilton titled "I Want My Life Back."

Hazelden has its own press with many good books on addiction. You can access that website at Hazelden -- Addiction Treatment Center.

And your local library can also find for you dvd's of the series "Close to Home" hosted by Bill Moyers, which is a rich source of information as well.

We are glad you found SR. Welcome.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It used to drive me nuts sometimes in Alanon meetings when people would accept unacceptable behavior from their loved one over and and over again because of the "disease" they had. Help for addictions has been around for many decades. Some people just have a lower bottom than others before they submit to the help.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh thank you all so much for the great resources and encouragement. I feel so at home already...it is great when others can relate to the issues in our lives. Thanks again, guys!!